Broccoli is a very nutritional vegetable. Until few years ago, I did not like the vegetable and seldom cooked it at home. Once I acquired it's taste, I like it very much and don't mind making it at home once in a while. I usually steam it or just saute it in some oil with salt, pepper and some garlic. Lately, I have been making quick stir fry with basic Indian spices and some tomato, to make broccoli more flavorful. To make this stir fry even more healthier, I add some boiled egg whites to the fry. Egg whites are mostly for U, who loves eggs & meats, and is trying to eat healthy. Broccoli and egg whites stir fry is certainly a one healthy side dish to go with plain rice!
Before I get to the recipe, let me share with you an exciting or what could have been a very exciting evening. This evening, I stopped by Crate and Barrel and got a glimpse of Ina Garten of Food Network. She was their for a signing ceremony and I was unaware of the event. I got a glimpse of her from a distance and would have been lot more exciting to see her face to face and get a copy of her cook book signed by her. You can read more about it here. I initially thought of writing about this in this post since she too is a foodie. I have not updated my other blog in a long time, hence decided to post it there.
Total Time: 15 - 20 minutes
Preparation time: 5 minutes (excludes time required to boil eggs)
Cooking Time: 10 - 15 minutes
- 3 Eggs boiled and yolks removed (opt)
- 2 tbsp. Oil
- 1 small Onion chopped
- 5 Green Chilies cut
- 1 tbsp. Garlic crushed
- ½ tsp. Turmeric
- 1 - 1 ½ tsp. Chili Powder (adjust to your taste)
- 1 ½ tbsp. Salt (adjust to taste)
- 2 medium Tomatoes chopped or 1 ½ cup chopped Tomatoes
- 250 gms / 8-9 oz. / 3 cups small Broccoli Florets
- Heat oil in a pan, add onions and sauté until translucent.
- Add garlic, green chilies and sauté for a minute.
- Add chili powder, turmeric, salt and mix well until all the spices are mixed well.
- Add egg whites, tomatoes and mix well. Cover and cook for 2-3 minutes until tomatoes become soft and mushy. Stir in between to make sure the mixture doesn’t burn.
- Add broccoli, mix well, cover and cook for 3-5 minutes stirring it in between. Don’t cook the broccoli for too long. It cooks very fast and I like it a little crunchy. I just dislike over cooked and mushy broccoli. Moreover, to retain the nutrients, don't cook broccoli for more than 5 minutes.
- Turn of the heat and serve immediately with rice.