Last Updated on
I have fall in love with broccoli in last 2 years. Prior to that, just the mention of broccoli would turn me off. I knew it is a very healthy, nutritious vegetable, but just could not eat it. Couple of years ago, I gave it a try again. I steamed it for 2-3 minutes and served it hot as a side dish. To my surprise, I liked it. We eat it daily for the next 3-4 weeks. Sometimes, I stir fry it in garlic infused oil for 2-3 minutes. That tastes great too. These days, for some reason, we are not eating it as much as I would want us to. Usually I make at least one vegetable stir fry (vepudu) for dinner and whenever I steam broccoli, I am the only one eating it. So, couple of weeks ago, I made broccoli stir fry with some moong dal and it was delicious. Since I didn’t make any other vegetable that night, I didn’t have any leftover broccoli. I like the combination of crunchy broccoli with crispy/nutty moong dal, seasoned with onion, green chilies and garlic. It is healthy, nutritious and delicious.
Broccoli is a good source of Calcium, Iron, Folic Acid, Vitamin A and extremely high in Vitamin C.
Total Time: 25 – 30 minutes
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 7 minutes
- 1 – 1 ½ tbsp Oil
- ½ tsp Cumin
- ½ small Onion Chopped
- 4 Green Chilies Chopped
- ½ tbsp garlic Paste or Crushed
- ½ tsp Turmeric Powder
- 2 tbsp Moong Dal Soaked
- Salt to Taste
- 1 small Tomato Chopped (opt. I did not use it this time)
- ½ lb Broccoli Florets
- Soak Moong Dal for at least 15 – 20 minutes.
- Heat oil in pan add cumin and when it starts to pop, add onion and saute until translucent.
- Add green chilies and cook for ½ minute.
- Add garlic and when it turns light golden in color, add turmeric and salt.
- Add moong dal, stir and cover and cook for 1-2 minutes. If using tomatoes, add it cook for another minute or so, until tomatoes are cooked.
- Add broccoli florets, mix well and cover and cook for 2 minutes. Broccoli cooks very fast and I like my broccoli crunchy.
- Remove the cover, mix it, turn of the flame, cover the pan let it sit for 3-5 minutes .
- Serve immediately as a side dish with rice or with roti.
I am sending this beautiful looking green broccoli moong dal stir fry to Sunshinemom for her Foods in Color, FIC: Green. Broccoli is a good source of calcium and sending this to Sangeeth for her Eat Healthy: Calcium Rich contest.