Corn Salad with Yogurt Dressing ~ Corn Raita
Corn raita is Indian version of corn salad in yogurt dressing. This is a quick, easy, under 15 minutes recipe and makes a great side dish as well as a light snack.
Update March 2018 – This post is updated with new images and re-edited in March 2018.
Corn raita or corn salad one of the signature recipes of my mother-in-law and she made it whenever she was in US. Until 15 years ago, sweetcorn was not as common in India as it is now and second, as far as I knew, frozen corn was not sold commercially. Hence, she always made it her in US. This corn raita is one of the yummiest corn salads I ever tasted. In fact, it was the first I ever tasted corn salad with yogurt dressing when she made during her first visit to US.
I never asked her how she came up with the recipe or who gave it to her. Unfortunately, I never even asked her for the recipe but saw her preparing it a few times. When I made it in my kitchen for the blog, it turned out good. Since yogurt is rich in protein, this recipe goes to Eat Healthy – Protein Rich Contest.
Serve corn raita with grilled chicken, meats or add it to barbecue menu. In fact, this is a great addition to a summer bbq party or any summer parties when corn is in abundance and yogurt is a coolant in hot weather. I prefer corn raita as a light snack anytime during the day.
How to make Corn Raita or Corn Salad
- 10 oz or 2 cups Frozen Sweet Corn
- 3 small Green Chilies chopped (approx. 1 ½ tsp when chopped and adjust to taste)
- 2 big fat Cloves of Garlic crushed (approx. 1 tbsp crushed)
- ⅔ - ¾ tsp Salt or adjust to taste
- ¼ tsp Cumin Powder (opt)
- 1 cup Nonfat Yogurt
- 2 tbsp Fat Free Sour Cream (opt)
- Chopped Cilantro for garnish
Cook frozen sweetcorn in a covered saucepan along with green chilies, crushed garlic, salt and some water (approximately ¼ cup).
When corn is tender, uncover and cook until water evaporates.
Let corn cool, add rest of the ingredients, including sour cream and mix well.
Garnish with cilantro and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Serve as a side dish with grilled meats or as a light snack. In the above pictures, I served it as a side dish for a veggie burger patty on a bed of lettuce.
- Options to Cook Corn - Take sweetcorn in a microwave safe bowl, mix green chilies, crushed garlic, salt and some water and microwave for 3-4 minutes until corn thaws and is tender.
- If using low fat or whole milk, can skip sour cream.