Corn raita is Indian version of corn salad in yogurt dressing. This is a quick, easy and under 15 minutes recipe. It makes a great side dish and a light snack as well.
Latest update August 2019
Update March 2018 - updated the post with new images and re-edited.
Corn is one of my favorite foods and like it in any form; boiled, grilled, pan roasted kernels, fried, in the form of fritters or corn garelu and in raita. Yes, you read it right, raita with corn!
Corn raita is one of the signature recipes of my mother-in-law and she made it whenever she was in US. Until 15 years ago, sweetcorn was not as common in India as it now is and second, as far as I knew, frozen kernels was not sold commercially. Hence, she always made it here in the US. This is one of the yummiest corn salads I ever tasted. In fact, the first time I tasted this raita was during here first visit to US.
I never asked her how she came up with the recipe or who gave it to her. Unfortunately, I never even asked her for the recipe but saw her preparing it a few times. When I made it in my kitchen for the blog, it turned out good.
How to serve?
Serve raita with grilled chicken, meats or add it to barbecue menu. In fact, this is a great addition to a summer bbq party or any summer parties when corn is in abundance and yogurt is a coolant in hot weather. I prefer this salad as a light snack anytime during the day.
Though this is a summer recipes, it also makes a nice side on your holiday table as well. Since it is made with frozen kernels, you can relish it year round.
Corn Raita Recipe
Corn Raita ~ Corn Salad in Yogurt Dressing
- 10 oz or 2 cups Frozen Sweet Corn
- 3 small Green Chilies chopped (approx. 1 ½ teaspoon when chopped and adjust to taste)
- 2 big fat Cloves of Garlic crushed (approx. 1 tablespoon crushed)
- ⅔ - ¾ teaspoon Salt or adjust to taste
- ¼ teaspoon Cumin Powder (opt)
- 1 cup Nonfat Yogurt
- 2 tablespoon Fat Free Sour Cream (opt)
- Chopped Cilantro for garnish
- Cook frozen sweetcorn in a covered saucepan along with green chilies, crushed garlic, salt and some water (approximately ¼ cup).
- When corn is tender, uncover and cook until water evaporates.
- Let corn cool, add rest of the ingredients, including sour cream and mix well.
- Garnish with cilantro and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Serve as a side dish with grilled meats or as a light snack. In the above pictures, I served it as a side dish for a veggie burger patty on a bed of lettuce.
- Options to Cook Corn - Take sweetcorn in a microwave safe bowl, mix green chilies, crushed garlic, salt and some water and microwave for 3-4 minutes until corn thaws and is tender.
- If using low fat or whole milk, can skip sour cream.
Like the recipe, Pin It!
Chef Mireille says
I love corn as much as you do and what a great way to utilize them
What a lovely salad this is Usha. Never thought corn can be used in a raita -- but come to think of it, corn being so mild will probably blend well with yogurt. I will definitely try this some time soon.
Jyoti Babel says
A perfect side dish. The pics are looking so inviting
Gayathri Kumar says
Never tried this version of corn. I am sure, with yogurt, this one tastes amazing.
Corn salad looks nice and creamy Usha. My kids love corn, will try your dish soon.
Priya Suresh says
Love corn as salads and am sure this yogurt dressing will definitely please my tastebuds. That bowl of corn salad is very inviting.
I have never tried corn with yogurt but this salad sounds very inviting. Pictures are gorgeous Usha.
Oh wow the pictures are simply so stunning Usha..I have been drooling over these and had to force myself down!..I love that font colour you got the corn salad..very nice
Rafeeda - The Big Sweet Tooth says
Such a creamy salad... especially looking at your plate with the barbeque, lettuce and the corn salad makes me crave for it... so delicious!
Corn and yogurt sound quite unique , and the flavours are interesting , will definitely try it very soon .
Wow! That is such an easy peasy raitha to enjoy even as a snack. Shall make it sometime soon.
Manjula Bharath says
wow such a luscious and tempting salad with corn and yogurt. This is a very interesting recipe I would love to give it a try. Kudos to your Mil and her signature recipe rocks !! and her daughter in law had done justice with fantastic captures 🙂
Such a creamy salad. Your pictures are so tempting, It looks like corn is cooked in cheese. Yum yum yum...
Sharmila Kingsly says
So creamy salad. I used to make corn salad in a different way.. This is totally fantastic..
Hi This is my first visit to your blog, coincidentally we share the same name, I loved this recipe for corn salad,very unique and looks yummy..... will try it sometime for sure 🙂
Yes we do share a common name... 😉 Let me know how the corn salad comes out.... Thanks for stopping by...:)
Mom got this recipe from one of her neighbors who I think was from Karnataka. Good writing!
ooh.. I didn't know that...