Corn raita is Indian version of corn salad in yogurt dressing. This is a quick, easy and under 15 minutes recipe. It makes a great side dish and a light snack as well.
Latest update August 2019
Update March 2018 - updated the post with new images and re-edited.
Corn raita is one of the signature recipes of my mother-in-law and she made it whenever she was in US. Until 15 years ago, sweetcorn was not as common in India as it now is and second, as far as I knew, frozen kernels was not sold commercially. Hence, she always made it here in the US. This is one of the yummiest corn salads I ever tasted. In fact, the first time I tasted this raita was during here first visit to US.
I never asked her how she came up with the recipe or who gave it to her. Unfortunately, I never even asked her for the recipe but saw her preparing it a few times. When I made it in my kitchen for the blog, it turned out good.
How to serve?
Serve raita with grilled chicken, meats or add it to barbecue menu. In fact, this is a great addition to a summer bbq party or any summer parties when corn is in abundance and yogurt is a coolant in hot weather. I prefer this salad as a light snack anytime during the day.
Though this is a summer recipes, it also makes a nice side on your holiday table as well. Since it is made with frozen kernels, you can relish it year round.
Corn Raita Recipe
Corn Raita ~ Corn Salad in Yogurt Dressing
- 10 oz or 2 cups Frozen Sweet Corn
- 3 small Green Chilies chopped (approx. 1 ½ teaspoon when chopped and adjust to taste)
- 2 big fat Cloves of Garlic crushed (approx. 1 tablespoon crushed)
- ⅔ - ¾ teaspoon Salt or adjust to taste
- ¼ teaspoon Cumin Powder (opt)
- 1 cup Nonfat Yogurt
- 2 tablespoon Fat Free Sour Cream (opt)
- Chopped Cilantro for garnish
- Cook frozen sweetcorn in a covered saucepan along with green chilies, crushed garlic, salt and some water (approximately ¼ cup).
- When corn is tender, uncover and cook until water evaporates.
- Let corn cool, add rest of the ingredients, including sour cream and mix well.
- Garnish with cilantro and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Serve as a side dish with grilled meats or as a light snack. In the above pictures, I served it as a side dish for a veggie burger patty on a bed of lettuce.
- Options to Cook Corn - Take sweetcorn in a microwave safe bowl, mix green chilies, crushed garlic, salt and some water and microwave for 3-4 minutes until corn thaws and is tender.
- If using low fat or whole milk, can skip sour cream.
Like the recipe, Pin It!