Corn raita is Indian version of corn salad in yogurt dressing. This is a quick, easy and under 15 minutes recipe. It makes a great side dish and a light snack as well.
Latest update August 2019
Update March 2018 – Corn raita post is updated with new images and re-edited in March 2018.
Corn raita or corn salad is one of the signature recipes of my mother-in-law and she made it whenever she was in US. Until 15 years ago, sweetcorn was not as common in India as it now is and second, as far as I knew, frozen corn was not sold commercially. Hence, she always made it here in the US. This is one of the yummiest corn salads I ever tasted. In fact, the first time I tasted corn salad with a yogurt dressing was during here first visit to US.
I never asked her how she came up with the recipe or who gave it to her. Unfortunately, I never even asked her for the recipe but saw her preparing it a few times. When I made it in my kitchen for the blog, it turned out good. Since yogurt is rich in protein, this recipe goes to Eat Healthy – Protein Rich Contest.
Serve corn raita with grilled chicken, meats or add it to barbecue menu. In fact, this is a great addition to a summer bbq party or any summer parties when corn is in abundance and yogurt is a coolant in hot weather. I prefer corn raita as a light snack anytime during the day.
Though this is a summer recipes, it also makes a nice side on your holiday table as well. Since it is made with frozen corn, you can relish the salad year round.
How to make Corn Salad
Corn Raita ~ Corn Salad in Yogurt Dressing
- 10 oz or 2 cups Frozen Sweet Corn
- 3 small Green Chilies chopped (approx. 1 ½ tsp when chopped and adjust to taste)
- 2 big fat Cloves of Garlic crushed (approx. 1 tbsp crushed)
- ⅔ - ¾ tsp Salt or adjust to taste
- ¼ tsp Cumin Powder (opt)
- 1 cup Nonfat Yogurt
- 2 tbsp Fat Free Sour Cream (opt)
- Chopped Cilantro for garnish
- Cook frozen sweetcorn in a covered saucepan along with green chilies, crushed garlic, salt and some water (approximately ¼ cup).
- When corn is tender, uncover and cook until water evaporates.
- Let corn cool, add rest of the ingredients, including sour cream and mix well.
- Garnish with cilantro and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Serve as a side dish with grilled meats or as a light snack. In the above pictures, I served it as a side dish for a veggie burger patty on a bed of lettuce.
- Options to Cook Corn - Take sweetcorn in a microwave safe bowl, mix green chilies, crushed garlic, salt and some water and microwave for 3-4 minutes until corn thaws and is tender.
- If using low fat or whole milk, can skip sour cream.
Like the recipe, Pin It!