Pan seared tandoori salmon is crisp on the outside, moist and tender inside.
Protein Rich Ingredient – Salmon
Theme for this week’s blogging marathon is cooking with a protein rich ingredient and I chose salmon. Starting today, I will post 3 protein rich salmon recipes. The first in the series is pan seared tandoori salmon.
Salmon is a good source of nutrients; vitamins, proteins and minerals. Though it is nutrient rich, salmon gets most of the attention because of it’s omega 3 fatty acids. Omega 3 fatty acids are essential fatty acids that our body can not produced and has to come through food. These fatty acids are good for heart, hence making salmon one of the healthiest fishes and a superfood.
How to cook Salmon
Salmon is easy to cook. Cook salmon on stove top, bake in the oven or even on a grill. Of all the methods, pan searing on a stove top is by far the most easiest and fastest way to cook salmon. Season salmon with spices and sear it on a hot pan for couple of minutes on each side. Mind you, cooking time of salmon varies on the thickness of the fillet.
How to Serve Pan Seared Salmon
I personally prefer pan seared salmon with some salad. Regardless of how it is seasoned, salmon tastes good with some steamed vegetables, grilled vegetables or a salad.
Healthy Pan Seared Tandoori Salmon Recipe
Tandoori Flavored Pan Sear Salmon Fillet
- 0.4 lbs Salmon Fillet
- 1 tsp Oil
- ½ tsp Tandoori Masala
- ¼ tsp Chili Powder
- ⅛ tsp Garam Masala
- Pinch of Turmeric Powder
- ¼ tsp Salt
- 1 - 1 ½ tsp Lime or Lemon Juice
- 1 ½ tsp Ginger Garlic Paste
- 1 tsp Oil
- In bowl mix all the ingredients listed under marinade.
- Rub the marinade into salmon and marinate for 2 hours or overnight in the refrigerator.
- If salmon is marinated overnight, leave it on counter top for ½ - 1 hour to bring to room temperature.
- Heat a pan with ½ - 1 tsp of oil.
- When oil is hot, place the fillet in the pan, skin side down.
- Sear it for couple of minutes on medium - medium high flame.
- Turn it around and sear it for another couple of minutes.
- Repeat the same on remaining two sides as well. Check notes when cooking with a thin fillet.
- Remove from pan, let the fillet rest for few minutes for the juices to sink back into the fillet and for excess oil to drain off.
- Serve salmon on a bed of lettuce or with grilled/steamed vegetables or lima beans salad.
- Thin Fillet of Salmon:When cooking with a thin fillet of salmon, cook on two sides; skin side down and then flip. Cook each side a little longer so that fillet is cooked evenly even in the inside.
- Variation: Substitute tandoori masala with creole seasoning or use a simple marinade with chili powder, garam masala and salt, as in this grilled salmon recipe.
Like the recipe, Pin It.