Sauteed ground chicken aka chicken kheema is a quick and easy side dish for rice, roti (Indian flatbread) and makes a great filling for tacos, quesadillas and puff pastries.
Theme – Protein Rich Ingredient
Welcome back to third week of Cooking Carnival, Cooking with Protein Rich Ingredients. This week’s protein rich ingredient is Chicken. I will post chicken recipes all this week. Of all the protein rich ingredients I am showcasing this month, chicken has the most protein. Today it is chicken kheema.
For the first day of the week, I have a ground chicken saute or chicken kheema. This is a versatile saute which is used in many ways. Serve it with rice or roti, Indian flatbread, use it in wraps and tacos, and as a filling for puff pastries, samosas and quesadillas. Hence this is one recipe that comes very handy.
This is a very quick and easy dry ground chicken curry or saute which is ready in 15 – 20 minutes. Ground chicken is not one of our favorite meat but we have gradually started liking it. Second, I figured out how to cook ground chicken the right way. The key is; not to overcook and not to cover the pan when cooking, as it cooks very fast.
When I made chicken kheema, I had an open pack of baby spinach and used it as well. The day I prepared it, I served it with rice but was not happy with the pictures. Luckily, I had some leftovers and took the pictures the next day and it was my lunch with couple of rotis.
How to make Sauteed Ground Chicken ~ Chicken Kheema
Sauteed Ground Chicken ~ Chicken Kheema
- 3 tbsp. Oil
- ⅓ - ½ cup chopped Onion
- 2 Green Chilies chopped
- 1 ½ - 2 tbsp. Ginger Garlic Paste
- 1 tsp. Coriander Powder
- 1 ¼ tsp. Chili Powder adjust to taste
- ¾ -1 teaspoon Salt adjust to taste
- ¼ tsp. Turmeric Powder
- ½ teaspoon Garam Masala I used store bought
- 123 grams / 4.3 oz Baby Spinach chopped (opt)
- 1 lb. Ground Chicken
- Cilantro ~ Kothmir for garnish
- Heat oil in a 10” skillet or a frying pan.
- When oil is hot, add onions and saute until soft.
- Add green chilies, ginger garlic paste and saute until ginger is fried.
- Throw in coriander powder, chili powder, salt, turmeric powder, garam masala and mix well.
- Next goes chopped spinach and mix for few seconds until spinach wilts.
- Finally add ground chicken and stir, separating the chicken mince. Stirring ground chicken is very important until it is partly cooked otherwise it will form a one big lump.
- Once the chicken is slightly cooked, reduce the flame to medium – medium high flame, cook until chicken is cooked and all the juices evaporate. Keep stirring in between for even cooking.
- Once the juices evaporate and chicken is cooked, sprinkle cilantro and turn off the heat.
- Serve with rice or roti. This sautéed chicken can be used as a filling for chicken rolls, quesadillas and curry puffs.
This day on 2014: Korean Bibimbap, Spicy Korean Cucumber Salad, Korean Stryle Season Beas Sprouts Salad & Seasoned Korean Spinach Salad
This day in 2015: Simple Telugu Bhojanam, Thali from Telangana, Beerakaya Koora ~ Ridge Gourd Curry, Kobbari (Coconut) Pachadi & Sheera ~ Sooji ka Halwa
Check out my fellow Blogging Marathoners recipes for the day.
[inlinkz_linkup id=648404 mode=1]