This is a common dish in the state of Andhra Pradesh. This is a lentil stew made of toor dal, tamarind and variety of vegetables such as okra, brinjal or egg plant, beans, carrots, radish, bottle gourd or aanyapakaya or kadhu, drum sticks, pearl onions and beans. In this recipe I use bottle gourd, carrots raddish and tomatoes. This is my entry to Jihva For Ingredients (JFI), hosted by Sig of Live to Eat and the brainchild of Indira of Mahanandi
Total Time: 35 minutes
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
- ¼ cup Toor Dal/Kandhi Pappu
- 1 ½ tbsp Oil
- ½ tsp Mustard Seeds
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 5 Curry Leaves
- ½ tsp Methi Powder (opt)
- 1 small Onion sliced or diced
- 6 Green Chillies (adjust to your taste, you can substitute chillies with chili powder or use few chilies + chili powder)
- 1 ½ tsp Garlic paste or crushed garlic
- ½ tsp Coriander Powder
- 1 tsp Turmeric Powder
- Salt to Taste
- 1 Carrot sliced
- 3 small round Radish sliced
- 1 cup Bottle Gourd sliced
- 1 medium sized Tomato diced
- 1 ½ tbsp Tamarind Paste or small lime size tamarind soaked in water
- Ingredients to add when boiling
- 1 tsp Garlic Paste or crushed garlic
- ½ tsp Cumin Powder
- 5 Curry Leaves
- 1 tsp Sugar (opt, I don’t use it but some people do)
- Cilantro for garnish
- Pressure cook toor dal with ½ cup of water for 5 whistles and another 5 minutes on low heat.
- If using tamarind, soak it in ¾ cup of water for 10 minutes and extract the pulp. OR microwave tamarind with water for a minute and extract the pulp.
- Heat oil in a sauce pan, add mustard seeds, cumin seeds, curry leaves and methi powder .
- When seeds start spluttering add onions and saute until translucent.
- Add green chillies and garlic paste saute until chillies change color.
- Add coriander powder, turmeric and salt and mix well.
- Add the vegetables, mix well and cover and cook for a minute or 2.
- Add dal and cook for another couple of minutes.
- Add tamarind paste and 3 cups of water. Mix well and check if it is tangy enough. If required add more tamarind paste. Bring to a boil.
- Add tomatoes and all the ingredients to add when boiling and reduce the heat to medium and boil of 10 minutes.
- If using sugar, add it and simmer for another couple of minutes. Add cilantro and remove from heat.
- Serve with hot rice.