BM#3 Day 5: Beetroot Raita
|March 7, 2011||Posted by MySpicyKitchen under Beetroot, Event Entries, Quick and Easy Recipes, Raitas, Salad/Raita/Chutney, Salads & Soups, Vegetarian|
For the 5th day of the marathon, I am here to share a raita recipe I tried from US Masala. I love raitas and try to make it variety of vegetables. I have already shared tomato raita, brinjal raita, spinach raita, cabbage raita and onion raita. As I was going through US Masala blog, I came across assortment of raitas. She had an assortment of spinach, cucumber mint, beetroot and boondi raita. The last two raitas are new to me and decided to try beetroot raita. I followed the recipe as given except for chili powder. I cut down a little on the chili powder, as I am not use to adding chili powder to raitas.
Look at the lovely pink beets raita, the pink on the napkin and the pink border! I am thinking pink today, aren’t I? This riata is making it’s grand entry to the Monthly Mingle: Think Pink an event started by Meeta. This is also goes to Priya’s Tried and Tasted started by Zlamushka, taken over by Lakshmi and Celebrating Blogging & Bloggers.
Source: US Masala
Total Time: 7 – 12 minutes
Preparation: 5 – 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 1 ½ minutes
- ½ cup diced Beetroot
- ¼ cup Water (you would need less than that)
- 1 cup Yogurt
- 1/8 tsp. Chili Powder
- ¼ – ½ tsp. Salt
- 1 tsp. Sugar (I did not use it)
- ½ tsp. Cumin Powder
- 1 tsp. Oil
- ½ tsp. Mustard Seeds
- ½ Urad Dal
- 3-4 Curry Leaves
- 1 tsp. Sesame Seeds
- In a microwave safe bowl, take the diced beetroot, some water (I used ¼ cup water and that was too much) and cook it for 1 ½ minutes. Let it cool.
- In a serving bowl, take the yogurt and beat it lightly with salt, chili powder and cumin powder. Then add cooked beetroot.
- In a small skillet or a pan, heat the oil for tempering. When oil is hot, add the mustard seeds and urad dal. When the seeds splutter, add curry leaves and sesame seeds. When the sesame seeds turn light brown, remove from heat and let the tempering cool.
- Add it to yogurt mixture, mix everything together and refrigerate it until ready to serve.
This day that year: Whole Wheat Eggless Almond Cookies in 2011
This month that year: The recipes I posted this month in 2009 and in 2010
Now over to my fellow marathoners,
30 Minutes Meals: Gayathri Anand
Baked Goods: Monika,
For On Going Events: Gayathri Kumar
Kids Friendly: PJ, Savitha, Smitha, Srivalli, Veena Aravind
Rice Varieties: Champa, Divya, Padma