Veggie Cheese Sandwich ~ Fusion Sandwich
When I cook for myself, I look for easy recipes to fix my meal and this veggie cheese sandwich is one of them. Vegetables and spread for the sandwich differs based on my mood on a given day. For the last recipe in Cooking for One, series is fusion veggie cheese sandwich. I used tomato pickle as a spread and a mixture of cheese and grated/chopped vegetables as the filling for the sandwich, hence making it a fusion veggie cheese sandwich or Indo American fusion sandwich.
My yesterday’s evening snack was veggie cheese sandwich. I used a mixture of grated cheddar cheese and carrot, chopped onion and bell peppers for the filling and Indian pickle as a spicy spread. The pickle was just perfect to add some heat to the sandwich.
A variation to this sandwich is using some leftover curry, which also makes an excellent sandwich and an awesome way to use up leftover curries. Check the suggestions below the recipe for more ideas.
I made this sandwich for snack and the recipe listed below is for a snack for one person.When making it for lunch or dinner for one person, double the recipe and make it with 4 slices of bread or as per ones appetite.
Total Time: 10 minutes
Preparation: 5 minutes
Cooking Time: 5 minutes
- 2 tbsp. grated Cheddar Cheese (can use a slice or any cheese of choice)
- 1 tbsp. grated Carrot
- 1 tbsp chopped Red Onion
- 1 tbsp chopped Green bell Pepper
- ½ – 1 tbsp chopped Cilantro ~ Coriander Leaves
- 2 slices of Sandwich Bread
- ½ – 1 tsp Spicy indian Pickle (I used tomato pickle. Can use mango, lime or any pickle)
- Take grated cheese, grated carrots, chopped onions, chopped bell peppers and chopped cilantro in a bowl. Mix well.
- Take a small skillet or a frying pan and toast a slice of bread on one side just until warm. Toast the other slice similarly, just on one side.
- Spread pickle on the two slices on the side that was toasted.
- Sprinkle cheese veggie filling on one of the slices on which pickle was spread, top it with the other slice, pickle spread side down. Press gently.
- Place the sandwich on the frying pan and toast on each side until brown and toasted, on medium to medium high heat.
- Remove from the pan, cut the sandwich diagonally and serve.
- I used pickle for heat and did not add any pepper and salt to the filling. A variation to this would be to add some chopped green chilies or pepper powder and salt to the filling mixture and not use a pickle as a spread. Instead, spread some butter or do not use any spread.
- Use a slice of cheese instead of grated cheese. Arrange sliced vegetables on the cheese. Or tear the cheese slice into small pieces and sprinkle either chopped or slices of veggies on cheese.
- Leftover curry also makes an awesome filling for the sandwich.