I remember eating this side dish a long time ago, back in India. I usually don't cook carrot stir fry at home, but do love eating it raw in my salads and raitas. Few days ago, a pack of carrots was helplessly staring at me and didn't want to end up in the trash, the following day. I had to consume it that day itself or throw it away, as that day was the sell by date. I was helpless too, as I did not have any vegetables in the fridge to prepare dinner. So, I decided to give carrots stir fry a try. I was a little hesitant at first and wasn't use if Mr.U would like it. He does not like sweetness in his food. To my surprise, he didn't complain at all and by the time I got back home from my class, the bowl was clean.
I made it again yesterday and this time, I took some pictures, so that I can send it to JFI: Carrots. JFI is a brainchild of Indira. I am also sending this over to Vegan Ventures, hosted by Taste Palettes.
Total Time: 15 minutes
Preparation: 5 minutes
Cooking: 10 minutes
- 1 ½ – 2 tablespoon Oil
- ½ teaspoon Cumin
- ½ small Onion chopped
- 5 Green Chillies chopped (adjust to taste)
- 2 teaspoon Crushed Garlic
- ½ teaspoon Coriander Powder
- ¼ tsp Chili Powder (adjust according to taste)
- ½ teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- Salt to Taste
- 4 large Carrots Chopped or 2 ½ cups chopped carrots
- Cilantro chopped for garnish
- Peel and chop the carrots to small pieces, about ¼ “ pieces.
- Chop the onion and green chillies.
- Heat oil in a pan add cumin seeds. When they start sputtering add onions.
- Saute onions until translucent. Add garlic and green chillies.
- When chillies change color and the garlic is roasted, add coriander powder, chili powder, turmeric powder and salt. Mix well.
- Add carrots and mix it until the spices coat the carrots. Cover and cook on medium high flame for 3-4 minutes until the carrots are tender.
- Remove the cover and fry/saute for another 4-5 minutes until the carrots are fried enough.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve with roties or chapaties, the Indian bread, or with rice.
This became the only way we cook carrot! Only additions I do are adding curry leaves and mustard seeds.
Welcome to wordpress! I feel at home as we both use the same theme 🙂
The carrot fry looks really appetizing!
nice one Usha..loved thr color..
What a beautiful and bright presentation, Usha! You make me hungry:)