Chana dal goat curry is a great recipe to use up leftover goat curry, either dry or gravy curry. Addition of chana dal transforms curry a new avatar and is a nice way to use up any leftover meat curry. This Chana dal goat curry is also a great recipe to fix a flopped non veg curry.
One of my aunts makes this chana dal goat curry whenever there is some leftover goat/lamb curry. She also does the same with leftover chicken curry, though goat is my favorite. Next time you have some leftover curry, do try this chana dal goat curry and no one would know it is a new look of previous day’s goat curry.
The measurements I mentioned below are approximate quantities and do use your intuition and eyeball the ingredients. If cooking the curry with fresh goat, precook goat meat with some chili powder, salt, ginger garlic paste, coriander powder and then follow the below recipe. Also add some garam masala and coconut powder when cooking the curry.
I was going to post another recipe today and when I made this curry this afternoon along with potato pulusu, I preferred this over potato pulusu. I took the pictures with leftover curry after lunch and below one is an iPhone picture just after preparing the curry.
Total Time: 2 ½ hours (includes soak time of chana dal)
Soak Time: 2 hours
Cooking Time: 20-30 minutes
- 2-3 tbsp. Oil
- 1 medium sized Onion, chopped, approximately ¾ cup
- 2 tsp. Ginger Garlic Paste
- 3-4 small Green Chilies, cut into two pieces
- 1 tsp. Chili Powder (adjust to heat tolerance level)
- 1 ½ tsp. Coriander Powder
- ¾ tsp. Salt (adjust to taste)
- Pinch of Turmeric Powder
- Goat Curry (I had 3 cups bowl full of curry)
- 2 tablespoon Chana Dal ~ Bengal Gram, soaked for at least 2 hours and longer is even better
- Cilantro for garnish
- Heat oil in a pan and saute onions until soft.
- Add ginger garlic paste, chilies and saute until raw smell of ginger is gone.
- Add coriander powder, chili powder, salt, turmeric and stir.
- Add chana dal and mix well.
- Add goat curry, mix, cover and cook on medium high flame until chana dal is cooked.
- Uncover and fry until all the moisture/gravy evaporates and goat is roasted.
- Sprinkle cilantro leaves and turn off the flame.
- Serve with rice.
- Leftover curry was spicy, garam masala spicy hence I did not add any garam masala today.
- Can add some coconut powder as well but since I added a bit too much coconut in the curry the previous day, I left it out.
- Add tomato or yogurt for more masala/curry. Add tomato before chana dal and cook until tomatoes are soft and mush. If using yogurt, saute the masala till oil separates and then add chana dal.
- If making chana dal goat curry with fresh goat meat, precook goat meat with some chili powder, salt, coriander powder, oil and ginger garlic paste. Then follow above recipe. Add some coconut (kopra) powder and garam masala after chana dal is cooked and few minutes before turning off the flame.