For September’s Home Bakers Challenge Priya challenged us with some cracker recipes. I chose to bake chickpeas crackers.
These are spicy crackers that can be snacked on anytime of the day and also a great tea time snack. I followed the recipe as give with addition of extra chili powder. It was spicy for my taste and would not have minded even if I left out that extra chili powder. The recipe also called for sprinkling some salt on the crackers half way into baking which I did not do.
Source: Versatile Vegetarian Kitchen
Total Time: 25 – 30 minutes
Preparation: 10 – 15 minutes
Baking Time: 15 minutes
Yields: 1.2 cups of crackers
- ¾ cup All Purpose Flour
- ¼ cup Chickpeas Flour ~ Besan ~ Gram Flour
- 1 tsp. Sugar
- ¼ tsp. Salt
- ½ - ¾ tsp. Chili Powder (I used ¾ tsp. and for milder spice level, use ½ tsp.)
- ¼ tsp. Garlic Powder (opt.)
- ¼ tsp. Onion Powder (opt.)
- 3 tbsp. Olive Oil
- 2 – 3 tbsp. Water (as required, I used 2 tbsp. + 1 tsp. water)
- Salt to sprinkle on crackers
- Preheat the oven to 325 F.
- Line a large cookie or baking sheet with a parchment paper or aluminum foil.
- Take flours, onion powder, garlic powder, ¼ salt, and chili powder in a bowl and mix well.
- Add oil and mix the flour.
- Add water, 1 tbsp. at a time to make the dough. I used 2 tbsp. + 1 tsp. water and the dough need not be very smooth, a little crumbly will work too.
- On lightly floured surface, roll out the dough very thin, ⅛” in thick or into a 12 x 12” square. I divided the dough into two and rolled out each ball into ⅛” thick.
- Using a knife or a pizza cutter, cut the rolled dough into 1 ½” squares. I wanted to cut them into 1 ½” diamonds and ended up cutting into 1” pieces. Also, try to cut them into even sizes, unlike mine which were of various sizes. Even size crackers will bake evenly.
- Transfer to a baking sheet, making sure they are not touching each other. These do not require too much space between them.
- Bake for 10 minutes in preheat over, turn the sheet around and bake for another 5 – 10 minutes until lightly golden. ½ a tsp. of salt can be sprinkled on top of the crackers after baking for 10 minutes, before turning the baking sheet. I did not sprinkle.
- Transfer to a cooling rack or a plate and let the crackers cool. Crackers will become crisp after they cool. Cool completely and store in an air tight container.
- Temperatures vary from oven to oven. Use the baking times mentioned above as a guideline when baking.
- One can add more herbs of choice in addition to garlic and onion powder.