I was away from this space for over six weeks and hope all is well with my blog readers and friends! I went back home for few weeks and got back four days ago. My vacation was okey and it rained everyday when I was in Hyderabad and I hear, it is still raining!
Today I am here to share chili yogurt mushrooms recipe that I tried out from a cook book "Curries, fragrant & spicy dishes" I bought for $3.99. It was on sale and I could not resist buying it. The price was a major factor in deciding to purchase the book. I probably would not have purchased it, if it were not on sale. Would you want to know the regular price of this book? Well, it is $7. I know, I know, seven dollars is not much when compared to $4 but sometimes, I am that silly and become an impulsive shopper when I see the word "sale" and end up buying stuff that I don't really require.
Coming to the recipe, the name sounds very exotic but it is nothing more that a tomato shorva with mushrooms, with a very thick gravy. I tweaked the recipe a little bit for my convenience and ingredients on hand. This was my lunch today and exactly what I needed on a rainy, gloomy fall day; a spicy delicious curry! I am glad I bought this book and found this excellent mushrooms curry!
Source: Adapted from Curries
Total Time: 25 minutes
Preparation Time: 5 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
- 2 tablespoon Oil
- 1 medium sized onion finely chopped or ⅔ - ¾ cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoon Ginger Garlic paste
- 1 large Vine Ripe Tomato chopped or 1 cup chopped tomatoes
- ½ teaspoon Turmeric
- 1 - 1 ½ teaspoon Chili Powder (adjust to taste. I used 1 ½ teaspoon and it was spicy)
- ½ Garam Masala (I used store bought masala)
- 1 teaspoon Coriander Powder
- 10 oz Mushrooms diced or sliced
- Salt to taste
- ¼ cup Yogurt
- Cilantro to garnish
- Heat oil in a pan and saute onions for 3-4 four minutes on medium high flame until they turn light yellow brown or translucent. Add ginger garlic paste and fry for a minute or two until ginger smell is gone.
- Add Tomatoes, turmeric, chili powder, garam masala, coriander powder and saute for 2-3 minutes until tomatoes become soft.
- Add mushrooms, salt and mix well. Cover and continue to cook on medium high flame for 8-10 minutes until mushrooms are tender. Mushrooms will release or draw lot of water when cooking.
- Turn of the flame, add yogurt and mix vigorously so that the yogurt doesn't curdle to the heat of the mushrooms. OR can cool the mushrooms mixture for five minutes and then add yogurt. Put it back on the stove and cook for few minutes until it starts to boil. Once it starts boiling, cook for a minute and turn off the heat.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve hot with rice or chapathis.
This goes to Divya's Show me your curry!
i made this curry with some tweeks of my own... I didnot have toatoes , so I used sauce and the ultimate result was actually good.. and I also added rosemary leaves, dhanya and basil... the taste was great. Also instead of directly pouring the curd directly into the kadai, I marinated the curd with dhanya,masala, ginger garlic paste,basil and mushroom and kept for about 30 mins so that the mushroom blends with all the masala...
It looks yummy.I am going to try this recipe..Thanks for creating such nice blog..
visiting ur blog for the first time.Nice recipe.very tempting pics.will try today and let u know 🙂
Spicy Mushroom Curry...It has been a while I made a mushroom curry will try this..
U have an award waiting in my blog..Check it out
Sushma Mallya says
i love mushrooms too esp when its used in a spicy gravy...and this version too looks so yum....would love to try this one soon.....and thank you so much for dropping by and for your wonderful comments...do keep in touch,have a lovely weekend...take care
I think you will love this... do let me know the result
Looks yum , easy preparation too.
This is one gorgeous curry . I'd love mushrooms in this gravy.
Lovely dish...easy and simple yet so gratifying. I love tomato based mushroom gravies as it simply pulls in the tang...I am guessing I should add a little kasuri methi to your dish for loads of added flavour!!!
You are right about the tomatoes... the gravy is tangy and addition of yogurt makes it even more tangy... Yes, you could add some kasturi methi for added flavor.