I was away from this space for over six weeks and hope all is well with my blog readers and friends! I went back home for few weeks and got back four days ago. My vacation was okey and it rained everyday when I was in Hyderabad and I hear, it is still raining!
Today I am here to share chili yogurt mushrooms recipe that I tried out from a cook book "Curries, fragrant & spicy dishes" I bought for $3.99. It was on sale and I could not resist buying it. The price was a major factor in deciding to purchase the book. I probably would not have purchased it, if it were not on sale. Would you want to know the regular price of this book? Well, it is $7. I know, I know, seven dollars is not much when compared to $4 but sometimes, I am that silly and become an impulsive shopper when I see the word "sale" and end up buying stuff that I don't really require.
Coming to the recipe, the name sounds very exotic but it is nothing more that a tomato shorva with mushrooms, with a very thick gravy. I tweaked the recipe a little bit for my convenience and ingredients on hand. This was my lunch today and exactly what I needed on a rainy, gloomy fall day; a spicy delicious curry! I am glad I bought this book and found this excellent mushrooms curry!
Source: Adapted from Curries
Total Time: 25 minutes
Preparation Time: 5 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
- 2 tablespoon Oil
- 1 medium sized onion finely chopped or ⅔ - ¾ cup chopped onion
- 2 teaspoon Ginger Garlic paste
- 1 large Vine Ripe Tomato chopped or 1 cup chopped tomatoes
- ½ teaspoon Turmeric
- 1 - 1 ½ teaspoon Chili Powder (adjust to taste. I used 1 ½ teaspoon and it was spicy)
- ½ Garam Masala (I used store bought masala)
- 1 teaspoon Coriander Powder
- 10 oz Mushrooms diced or sliced
- Salt to taste
- ¼ cup Yogurt
- Cilantro to garnish
- Heat oil in a pan and saute onions for 3-4 four minutes on medium high flame until they turn light yellow brown or translucent. Add ginger garlic paste and fry for a minute or two until ginger smell is gone.
- Add Tomatoes, turmeric, chili powder, garam masala, coriander powder and saute for 2-3 minutes until tomatoes become soft.
- Add mushrooms, salt and mix well. Cover and continue to cook on medium high flame for 8-10 minutes until mushrooms are tender. Mushrooms will release or draw lot of water when cooking.
- Turn of the flame, add yogurt and mix vigorously so that the yogurt doesn't curdle to the heat of the mushrooms. OR can cool the mushrooms mixture for five minutes and then add yogurt. Put it back on the stove and cook for few minutes until it starts to boil. Once it starts boiling, cook for a minute and turn off the heat.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve hot with rice or chapathis.
This goes to Divya's Show me your curry!