I am very happy to share with you all a recipe I came up with. How I came up with this recipe is a long story. I tried out a recipe I saw in a magazine. The recipe called for wrapping sausage meat in a pastry sheet, cutting it into ½” circles and baking it. Puff Rolls came out great and the taste was fine too, but I was unsure if the meat inside the puff rolls was fully cooked. So I decided not to share the recipe with you all (there is another story behind that). However, I will share the pictures very soon.
I had one more pasty sheet in the freezer and wanted to use it. I thought of preparing the same recipe again, with either cooked sausage or seasoned mashed potato, rather than raw sausage meat, but changed my mind. Then I thought of spreading either cooked minced meat or mashed potato on the pastry sheet and rolling it into a pinwheel and that didn’t quite appeal me either. Then I remembered the tri-color cilantro chutney, cucumber and tomato sandwiches. I wondered, how about spreading cilantro chutney/pesto, sprinkling some roasted red bell which were sitting in my fridge, and some onion. And here I am with a delicious Cilantro Mint Pesto Pinwheels.
Total Time: 30-35 (excludes thawing time)
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Baking Time: 20-25 minutes
- 2 Roasted Almonds
- 2 Walnuts
- ½ cup Chopped Cilantro (approx. I didn’t measure it)
- ½ cup Chopped Mint (approx. I didn’t measure)
- 3 Cloves Garlic Chopped
- 5 Green Chilies Chopped (adjust to taste. It is a little spicy)
- Salt to Taste
- 2 tbsp Lemon Juice (it is an approx. measure. adjust to taste)
- ½ Small Onion Chopped
- ½ cup Roasted Red Bell Pepper Chopped(I used store bought roasted red bell peppers in a bottle)
- 1 Puff Pasty Sheet (Pepperridge farm box comes with 2 Pastry Sheets)
- 2 tbsp Mozzarella Cheese (opt. I used it today but won’t use it next time)
- Thaw pastry sheet for 40 minutes, as instructed on the box.
- Grind all the ingredients listed under pesto.
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Cut the pastry sheet into two, lengthwise.
- Spread the pesto on the sheets. Sprinkle onions, bell peppers and cheese.
- Roll the pastry sheet lengthwise.
- Cut it into ½” rolls. Arrange in a aluminum foil lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until they turn golden brown.
- Remove form oven and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Serve it as an appetizer or a snack, as it is or with your favorite sauce or dip.