Today I have a quick and easy recipe from Sanjeev Kapoor's Khana Khazana. This is similar to bread canapes I posted sometime back with mixed vegetables. Today it is with a mixture of corn & green bell peppers. I mention this every time I post a corn recipe and I am going to repeat it again. I love corn and had to make this recipe!
Couple of weeks ago when I saw grilled corn, bell peppers & cheese toasties recipe on Khana Khazana, I immediately recorded the show for the recipe. In this episode, all the recipes were from his cookbook “Entertaining at Home, Simply Stylish”.
This is a very easy recipe prepared by toasting or grilling bread with corn, bell peppers and cheese spread. Though it was my breakfast that day, it is a great evening snack or can also be served hot as an appetizer. And it is a great snack for kids. The recipe called for brown bread and I used white bread instead. I made half the recipe.
Total Time: 20 minutes
Preparation: 10 minutes (for preheating the oven)
Baking Time: 7-8 minutes
- 4 slices Brown/White Bread (I used white)
- ½ cup Corn Kernels boiled (I used ¾ cup frozen which after thawing was ½ cup)
- ½ small – medium sized Green Bell Pepper chopped, approx. ½ cup after chopping
- 1-2 Green Chilies chopped (I used 2 as I like it a bit spicy and it was about 1 tsp. after chopping)
- ½ - ¾ cup Cheese grated (I used mozzarella and used less than ¾ cup. If one likes cheese I would recommend using ¾ cup)
- Dash of Black Pepper (Adjust to taste depending on green chilies used)
- Salt to taste (approximately a pinch to ¼ tsp. Pinch is ⅛ tsp.)
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 F.
- Take a cookie sheet and place a grilling rack on it. Place the bread slices on the grill rack and put it in the oven as the oven preheats. The bread will toast in about 7-8 minutes. You can place the bread slices directly on the oven rack but I preferred it this way.
- While the oven is pre-heating, take frozen sweet corn kernels in the microwave safe bowl and microwave for 1 ½ minutes. Drain water if any and keep aside the corn kernels.
- Chop bell peppers, chilies and keep aside.
- In a bowl, take corn kernels, chopped bell peppers & chilies and mix them together.
- Add salt and pepper and mix.
- Add cheese and mix until all the ingredients are mixed properly.
- Take out the toasted bread slices and spread the corn mixture evenly on each slice.
- Put them back in the pre-heated oven on the middle rack and bake until cheese melts, about 7-8 minutes. Temperatures vary from oven to oven and use the bake time as a guideline when baking.
- Remove from oven, cut each slice into two; either into triangles or rectangles. Serve hot.
Events: This is my entry for this week's Cooking from Cookbook Challenge.