Today I have a quick and easy recipe from Sanjeev Kapoor's Khana Khazana. This is similar to bread canapes I posted sometime back with mixed vegetables. Today it is with a mixture of corn & green bell peppers. I mention this every time I post a corn recipe and I am going to repeat it again. I love corn and had to make this recipe!
Couple of weeks ago when I saw grilled corn, bell peppers & cheese toasties recipe on Khana Khazana, I immediately recorded the show for the recipe. In this episode, all the recipes were from his cookbook “Entertaining at Home, Simply Stylish”.
This is a very easy recipe prepared by toasting or grilling bread with corn, bell peppers and cheese spread. Though it was my breakfast that day, it is a great evening snack or can also be served hot as an appetizer. And it is a great snack for kids. The recipe called for brown bread and I used white bread instead. I made half the recipe.
Total Time: 20 minutes
Preparation: 10 minutes (for preheating the oven)
Baking Time: 7-8 minutes
- 4 slices Brown/White Bread (I used white)
- ½ cup Corn Kernels boiled (I used ¾ cup frozen which after thawing was ½ cup)
- ½ small – medium sized Green Bell Pepper chopped, approx. ½ cup after chopping
- 1-2 Green Chilies chopped (I used 2 as I like it a bit spicy and it was about 1 tsp. after chopping)
- ½ - ¾ cup Cheese grated (I used mozzarella and used less than ¾ cup. If one likes cheese I would recommend using ¾ cup)
- Dash of Black Pepper (Adjust to taste depending on green chilies used)
- Salt to taste (approximately a pinch to ¼ tsp. Pinch is ⅛ tsp.)
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 F.
- Take a cookie sheet and place a grilling rack on it. Place the bread slices on the grill rack and put it in the oven as the oven preheats. The bread will toast in about 7-8 minutes. You can place the bread slices directly on the oven rack but I preferred it this way.
- While the oven is pre-heating, take frozen sweet corn kernels in the microwave safe bowl and microwave for 1 ½ minutes. Drain water if any and keep aside the corn kernels.
- Chop bell peppers, chilies and keep aside.
- In a bowl, take corn kernels, chopped bell peppers & chilies and mix them together.
- Add salt and pepper and mix.
- Add cheese and mix until all the ingredients are mixed properly.
- Take out the toasted bread slices and spread the corn mixture evenly on each slice.
- Put them back in the pre-heated oven on the middle rack and bake until cheese melts, about 7-8 minutes. Temperatures vary from oven to oven and use the bake time as a guideline when baking.
- Remove from oven, cut each slice into two; either into triangles or rectangles. Serve hot.
Events: This is my entry for this week's Cooking from Cookbook Challenge.
Very nicely done Usha, and your pictures are wow...
Chef Mireille says
I love corn too and now is the season for it when fresh corn is available everywhere
Wow this toast is something truly irresistible, hard to resist to those veggie filling..
Usha this is what I want to grab off the screen. Its delicious,