I have a quick and easy appetizer for day 6 of the marathon. I saw this on food network few years ago and was meaning to make it ever since. I finally made it today and I substituted a few ingredients just for my convenience. I made half the recipe and used non fat ingredients. My theme for this marathon is recipe less picture post, hence I won't be sharing the recipe now. I will do so once the marathon is over.
Source: Sandra Lee
Preparation Time: 10 - 15 minutes
Updated the recipe on July 11, 2011
- 1 English Cucumber
- 4 oz. fat free cream cheese
- 4 oz. fat free sour cream
- Diced ham cut into small pieces (recipe called for smoked salmon)
- ½ small Onion finely chopped
- Cilantro chopped
- Salt & ground black pepper to taste
- Some Lime juice
- Chop onions, cilantro and ham cubes.
- In a bowl take cream cheese, sour cream, ham, onion, cilantro, salt, pepper and lime juice to make the filling.
- Mix together all the ingredients in the bowl. Taste the filling and adjust the seasoning if required.
- Wash and peel the cucumber as shown in the picture.
- Remove the tips and slice the cucumber in to ¾-1" slices.
- With a melon baller or scooper, scoop out the seeds and some the flesh from each slice. Scoop out ⅔rds of the flesh from the cucumber slice. Don't scoop out all the flesh.
- Prepare a pastry bag and use star 8 tip. I used a Ziploc bag.
- Fill the bag with the filling.
- Pipe in the filling into the cucumber slices.
- I did not have the right tip and could not pipe the filling into the cucumber. Some the ingredients in the filling got stuck in the tip. I had to remove the tip and pipe in the filling without a tip.
- I substituted smoked salmon with diced ham but I did not really care much for the ham in the filling. I would try smoked salmon or skip it all together.
This day in 2008 Egg Pulusu
Priya Mahadevan says
very lovely demo and painstakingly done! delicious appetizer!
Priya (Yallapantula) Mitharwal says
wow, that looks superb and a perfect mini bite or appetizer. I love your process and how you have filled them so well with piping attachment instead of just spooning the filling over.
Suman Singh says
Interesting..that is really an unique and delicious appetizer..looks healthy too!
Usha, those look so cute and inviting!..pictures are so interesting..
Wat a lovely,refreshing and incredible cream cheese stuffed cucumbers, yummy..
Lovely .. neat way to have cucumbers.
Event: Dish it Out - Spinach and Garlic
Event: Healthy Lunchbox Ideas - Broccoli
That looks so fantastic waiting for the recipe..
Very interesting idea...the stuffed cucumbers look really cute.
What a lovely idea. Hey.....you could send this in to Kids delight - Mini bites being hosted by Champa.
Jayashree, I used some ham in for the stuffing and I think Champa is accept only vegetarian recipes. I should have skipped ham.. I did not really care for it in the stuffing.
that is perfect
This is an interesting recipe for sure!!
Wow..that's truly appetizing.Drooling over !