Crunchy sweet corn salad is a refreshing summer salad with raw fresh corn, cucumber and red bell pepper. Buttermilk dressing is tangy and blended well with the crunchy vegetables and feta cheese. This is a wonderful side dish to take on picnics or barbeque parties. The day made it, wished I had grilled some meat to serve the salad with. Here is another picture of the salad on photo blog.
Next recipe from Food52 contest winners is a summer salad, crunchy sweet corn salad with buttermilk dressing. As soon as I saw this salad I bookmarked it without even reading the full recipe as I like anything with corn. When I started preparing the salad I realized recipe calls for fresh uncooked corn! I never used fresh uncooked corn as it is and even considered changing the recipe. Since I had all the ingredients ready, I went ahead with the preparation and I am glad I did. I liked the salad and even husband liked it. However, I wonder if he would eat uncooked corn if I made it very often. I would not mind it at all and crunchy sweet corn salad was my lunch and breakfast the next morning.
Crunchy Sweetcorn Salad & Buttermilk Dressing Recipe
Crunchy Sweet Corn Salad with Buttermilk Dressing
- ½ small Onion or 1 Shallot thinly sliced
- 3 ears Fresh Sweet Corn kernels scraped off the cob with a knife (about 2 ⅔ cups of kernels)
- ½ medium sized Red Bell Pepper chopped (about ⅓ – ½ cup after chopping)
- 3 - 4 Mini Cucumbers quartered lengthwise and cut to ½” piece (I used 3, about 1 ¾ cup when cut. Can use 4 cucumbers.
- 1 tbsp minced Dill
- ¼ cup finely chopped Parsley or Cilantro
- Rinsed Crumbled Feta Cheese for garnish
- ¼ cup Buttermilk (I used ⅛ cup yogurt + ⅛ cup whey)
- ⅔ cup Yogurt whisked (check notes)
- 1 tbsp White Wine Vinegar
- 3 tbsp minced Yellow Onion
- 1 small Garlic minced
- ¼ cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Salt to taste
- Black to taste
- Salt onion slices in ½ tsp. salt and keep aside for 20 minutes to remove the harshness of the onion. Rinse in water and pat dry on paper towel.
- In large 1 ½ – 2 quart bowl toss the corn kernels lightly to separate the kernels.
- Add sliced onions and rest of the salad ingredients and toss to combine. Chill until ready to serve.
- In a smaller bowl whisk together buttermilk, yogurt, onion, garlic and vinegar.
- Gradually add oil while whisking until well combined. Season with salt and pepper powder.
- Garnish chilled salad with feta cheese and serve. Pass around the dressing separately.
- Dressing was thick and I liked it this way. But if one prefers thinner dressing, use less yogurt and add a little water. Also, I substituted ⅛ cup yogurt + ⅛ cup whey for buttermilk. So the butter milk was slightly on thicker side. This too could have contributed to a thick dressing.
Like the Recipe? Pin It for later!
Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 57