Last Updated on
Crunchy sweet corn salad is a refreshing summer salad with raw fresh corn, cucumber and red bell pepper. Buttermilk dressing is tangy and blended well with the crunchy vegetables and feta cheese. This is a wonderful side dish to take on picnics or barbeque parties. The day made it, wished I had grilled some meat to serve the salad with. Here is another picture of the salad on photo blog.
Next recipe from Food52 contest winners is a summer salad, crunchy sweet corn salad with buttermilk dressing. As soon as I saw this salad I bookmarked it without even reading the full recipe as I like anything with corn. When I started preparing the salad I realized recipe calls for fresh uncooked corn! I never used fresh uncooked corn as it is and even considered changing the recipe. Since I had all the ingredients ready, I went ahead with the preparation and I am glad I did. I liked the salad and even husband liked it. However, I wonder if he would eat uncooked corn if I made it very often. I would not mind it at all and crunchy sweet corn salad was my lunch and breakfast the next morning.
Crunchy Sweetcorn Salad & Buttermilk Dressing Recipe
Crunchy sweet corn salad is a refreshing summer salad with fresh corn, cucumber and red bell pepper. Buttermilk dressing is tangy and blends well with crunchy vegetables.
- ½ small Onion or 1 Shallot thinly sliced
- 3 ears Fresh Sweet Corn kernels scraped off the cob with a knife (about 2 ⅔ cups of kernels)
- ½ medium sized Red Bell Pepper chopped (about ⅓ – ½ cup after chopping)
- 3 - 4 Mini Cucumbers quartered lengthwise and cut to ½” piece (I used 3, about 1 ¾ cup when cut. Can use 4 cucumbers.
- 1 tbsp minced Dill
- ¼ cup finely chopped Parsley or Cilantro
- Rinsed Crumbled Feta Cheese for garnish
- ¼ cup Buttermilk (I used ⅛ cup yogurt + ⅛ cup whey)
- ⅔ cup Yogurt whisked (check notes)
- 1 tbsp White Wine Vinegar
- 3 tbsp minced Yellow Onion
- 1 small Garlic minced
- ¼ cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Salt to taste
- Black to taste
Salt onion slices in ½ tsp. salt and keep aside for 20 minutes to remove the harshness of the onion. Rinse in water and pat dry on paper towel.
In large 1 ½ – 2 quart bowl toss the corn kernels lightly to separate the kernels.
Add sliced onions and rest of the salad ingredients and toss to combine. Chill until ready to serve.
In a smaller bowl whisk together buttermilk, yogurt, onion, garlic and vinegar.
Gradually add oil while whisking until well combined. Season with salt and pepper powder.
Garnish chilled salad with feta cheese and serve. Pass around the dressing separately.
- Dressing was thick and I liked it this way. But if one prefers thinner dressing, use less yogurt and add a little water. Also, I substituted ⅛ cup yogurt + ⅛ cup whey for buttermilk. So the butter milk was slightly on thicker side. This too could have contributed to a thick dressing.