Today I have a very simple salad with cucumber and tomatoes. This salad can be served as a side dish with baked or grilled meats and as a dish with any cuisine. If you are a cucumber lover like me, it can eaten as late morning or a late afternoon snack.
This is similar to Indian raita but with different spices. My initial idea was to post a raita recipe and changed my mind after seeing this, which I prepared for this month’s Food of the World.
I do add some sour cream to my raitas though yogurt dominates the dressing. For a change, I thought I would use more sour cream and less yogurt. Since I used sour cream, I did not want to use Indian spices. Seasoned the dressing with pepper powder, salt and a dash of yellow mustard.
All the ingredients for the salad and the dressing can be adjusted to one’s taste. Yellow mustard can be substituted with mustard powder or can be skipped altogether.
Preparation: 5 – 10 minutes
- 1 mini Cucumber
- 6 – 8 Grape Tomatoes
- 2 tablespoon sliced Red Onions
- 1 tablespoon Sour Cream
- 1 – 2 teaspoon Yogurt
- ¼ teaspoon Salt (adjust to taste)
- 1/16 teaspoon Black Pepper Powder
- Dash of Yellow Mustard about 2 drops (mustard powder can also be used)
- Peel and slice cucumber into half circles. Cut grape tomatoes into half. Slice onion. Take all the vegetables in a large bowl and keep aside until ready to serve.
- In a small bowl mix together sour cream, yogurt, salt, pepper and yellow mustard. Refrigerate the dressing until ready to serve. Dressing can be prepared just before serving.
- When ready to serve, pour sour cream dressing over salad and toss. If not serving right way, do not add salt to the dressing. Salt will release the water content from cucumber and make the salad liquidy.
Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing this BM#62