This month, Food of the World is in Russia. Blini, Russian pancakes have been on my to try list for some time and could not cook them even for this event. Another recipe which I also want to try from Russia is Shchi, a cabbage soup. Maybe next time. For this month, I chose a simple side dish, fried potatoes with mushrooms. Here are few Russian recipes I have tried in the past.
Fried potatoes and mushrooms with sour cream is a nice side dish to serve with meats, along with a simple cucumber tomato salad with some sour cream. Yes, sour cream again and from what I have read about Russian cuisine, potatoes and sour cream are used a lot. For today’s side dish, wild mushrooms are recommended but I used portobello mushrooms and baby bella mushrooms would also work. I used less oil when preparing but more can be used if one prefers. Though this fried potatoes with mushrooms is a side dish, this was my lunch yesterday.
Source: Russian Bites
Total Time: 30 minutes
Preparation: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
- ½ tbsp. Butter
- 3 oz. Portabella Mushroom, sliced and cut into 2” pieces (I used one large portabella cap)
- 1 tbsp. Oil
- 2 small – medium sized Potatoes, peeled and cut into long strips like french fries
- Pinch of ground Black Pepper Powder (adjust to taste)
- ¼ tsp. Salt (adjust to taste)
- 1 ½ tsp. Sour Cream
- Wash or wipe mushroom and cut it into 2” pieces. I sliced the mushroom and then cut it into 2” pieces.
- Heat butter in a nonstick pan, add mushrooms, stir, cover and cook for few minutes until mushrooms shrink in size.
- Remove the cover, reduce the heat if necessary and cook until mushrooms are soft and moisture evaporates.
- Transfer to a bowl or a plate and keep aside.
- While the mushrooms are cooking, peel and cut the potatoes into thin wedges like French fries.
- In the same pan, add oil and fry potatoes. Cover and cook for few minutes until potatoes and soft.
- Remove the cover and fry until potatoes are cooked.
- Add sauteed mushrooms back to the pan, add salt & pepper, sour cream and stir well until sour cream is blends into the vegetables.
- Transfer to a serving bowl and serve as a side dish with grilled or baked meats, along with a simple light salad such as cucumber onion tomato salad.
Please add your Russian recipes to the linky below and visit my co-host to see what they are cooking.
Please visit the co-host blogs and follow their sites!