For this month’s blogging marathon, I opted to blog in last two weeks of the month. This week my theme is regional cuisine and picked New York cuisine or food from New York. For day one, I have a street food from New York City. If you visited New York City, you probably must have noticed Nuts 4 Nuts food cart all across Manhattan, specially in midtown. These carts sell honey roasted nuts. Peanuts, almonds and cashews are the common nuts sold but I once remember seeing coconut as well. However, it is not common and that was the only time I saw coconut at this one particular cart.
Nuts are roasted on the cart and sold in small wax paper bags. Each bag is a dollar or 2. I only tasted peanuts and are not very sweet. Peanuts are slightly roasted and is a great snack. If one is thinking of substituting these nuts as a dessert, then one will be disappointed. I found a copycat version of honey roasted peanuts and made half the recipe, followed it to the T. I was tempted to add honey but stuck to sugar.
Source: Top Secrete Recipes
Cooking Time: 5 - 8 minutes
Yields: ¾ cup
- 1 tbsp. Water
- 2 tbsp. Sugar
- ¾ cup Unroasted Peanuts
- Take water and sugar in a pan and bring it to a boil on medium flame.
- When sugar is dissolved, add nuts and stir occasionally.
- In about 2 minutes, sugar will begin to coat the nuts. At this point stir vigorously.
- In about a minute, syrup will evaporate and sugar will crystallize on the peanuts.
- Once the sugar coats all the nuts, turn off the heat, continue stirring until the sugar crystallizes on the nuts, then caramelizes and turns light brown.
- Transfer the nuts to a plate and let cool.
- Substitute peanuts with almonds or cashew nuts.
- Add ¼ teaspoon cinnamon powder or ½ teaspoon of vanilla extract for flavor.
- Do not use a nonstick pan. I used a steel pan.
This day in 2008: Chicken Biryani
This day in 2012: Kheema Dum Biryani ~ Ground Goat Biryani
This day in 2014: Black eyed peas Salad
Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing this BM#66
Harini-Jaya R says
I agree these are easy to make and are just as addictive.
Yummy and addictive roasted peanuts. Lovely clicks Usha.
Smruti | Herbivore Cucina says
Three ingredients to make something so delicious. Wow this recipe is a keeper!!
Wow thats amazing. I did that with salted water in the past. Ruing that I roasted all the peanuts just today.Next time hubbs will love these.
Priya Suresh says
Omg, this roasted peanuts makes me drool, definitely a dangerously addictive snacks.
Padma Rekha says
Love those clay bowls Usha beautiful and roasted peanuts sounds so tempting can munch them any time..
Nice reading about this recipe..anything peanut I love and your pictures surely make me want to grab!
ruchi indu says
very easy snack