A quick, easy Indian style green chard stir fry is a perfect side dish for busy days and gets cooked in 10 minutes.
- 1 small Onion chopped
- 5-6 Green Chilies cut (adjust to taste)
- 1 ½ – 2 teaspoon Garlic paste/crushed
- ½ teaspoon Chili powder (adjust to taste)
- ½ teaspoon Turmeric
- Salt to Taste
- 1 bunch Green Chard chopped
- Heat oil in a pan and saute the onions until translucent.
- Add garlic and chilies and saute for a minute.
- Add turmeric, chili powder and salt and stir well.
- Then add chopped chards and stir well until all the spices and chards and mixed well.
- Cover and cook until chard is cooked. This should take about 5 minutes. Use your discretion here. I did not check the time.
- Remove the cover and fry for few minutes and serve hot with rice or chapatis.
- This was my first time cooking the green chard at home so I chopped and threw away most of the woody white stalk/stem of this leafy vegetable. I used the small, tender stalk that was close to to the leaf. This stalk/stem after cooking tasted like celery and I think I might use more of the stalk next time prepare it, as long as it is tender.
- When preparing this vegetable, keep in mind that just like spinach, even the chard yields very little once cooked.
Signup to the newsletter to receive latest updates from MySpicyKitchen.