Spicy Oven Roasted Chickpeas
Oven roasted chickpeas have been on my list of bakes ever since I baked chana dal and mung dal couple of years ago. I finally got to bake it couple of weeks ago. Cooked chickpeas are coated with spices and roasted in the oven until crunchy. These make an excellent snack.
I used can chickpeas but if one wishes, they can soak chickpeas overnight, cook until tender and then roast in the oven. Roasted chickpeas stayed good for up to 3-4 days but I liked them better the first & the second day. Also mind you, chickpeas shrink in size when baking.
Total Time: 40 – 60 minutes
Preparation: 10 – 20 minutes
Bake Time: 30 – 40 minutes
- 2 (15 oz each) cans Chickpeas
- 2 – 3 tbsp. Oil
- 1 tsp. Garam Masala (I used store bought garam masala)
- 1 – 1 ½ tsp. Chili Powder (I used 1 ½ tsp. and it was spicy. Adjust to taste)
- 1 – 1 ½ tsp. Chaat Masala (I used 1 ½ tsp. It was spicy and adjust to taste)
- 1 – 1 ½ tsp. Salt (adjust to taste)
- Take can of chickpeas in a colander or a strainer and run under water. Leave it in colander for few minutes to drain the water.
- Spread on paper towels and leave it for at least 5 – 10 minutes and pat dry. If one has time, leave on paper towels for little long.
- Pre-heat the oven to 400F. Line a large baking sheet with an aluminum foil and keep aside.
- Transfer the chickpeas to a bowl, add rest of the ingredients and toss. This can also be done directly in baking sheet.
- Transfer spiced chickpeas to the lined baking sheet.
- Bake in a pre-heated oven for 30 – 40 minutes. I baked for 38 minutes for crunchy chickpeas. Temperatures vary from oven to oven, bake until chickpeas are roasted.
- Chickpeas:If using dry chickpeas, soak them overnight, cook until tender, drain and pat dry chickpeas before using.
- Spice Blend Suggestions:Spices & sseasoning can be adjust to ones taste. Some suggestions are using just salt & chili powder with some fresh minced garlic or garlic powder.
- Cumin + chili powder + salt
- Creole seasoning + salt