Potatoes are strangers in my kitchen. Both of us like this tuber but our choice of cooking this tuber vary. I like a few potato pieces in my cauliflower fry, cabbage fry, tomato shorva and bagara, unlike Mr.U, who prefers plain potato fry. Despite his dislike, I sometimes add potato to my shorva and bagara, when we have company. Otherwise, it is usually potato fry. I don’t make it that often as U avoids it as potatoes are rich in carbohydrates. But whenever I do make it, I indulge myself in frying it with some extra oil than required and roast/fry it brown. Potatoes do taste great when fried brown in some excess oil! This sinfully delicious potato fry goes to Divya’s Veggie/Fruit a month Potato started by Priya, and to CMT: Sabji started by Joy of cooking.
Total Time: 25 – 30 minutes
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 – 20 minutes
- 2 – 3 tablespoon Oil (I used 3 tablespoon)
- ½ teaspoon Cumin
- ½ cup Methi Leaves chopped (opt.)
- 3-4 Curry Leaves
- 1 medium sized Onion chopped
- 1 ½ – 2 teaspoon Ginger Garlic paste
- 2 teaspoon Coriander Powder
- ½ teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- 1 ½ – 2 teaspoon Chili Powder (adjust to taste)
- 1 ¼ teaspoon Salt (adjust to taste)
- 500 gms or little over a pound Potatoes (I used red baby potatoes)
- 2 medium Chilies slit and cut into 3 pieces
- Cilantro to garnish
- Peel potatoes and cut them into desired size. I cut them into 6 – 8 pieces varying on the size.
- Heat oil in skillet, add cumin/jeera and let it sputter.
- Add curry leaves and methi and let it fry for a minute, until the greens turn a little dark green in color.
- Add onion and sauté until translucent.
- Add ginger garlic and sauté for additional minute until the raw smell of onion is gone.
- Add turmeric, coriander powder, chili powder, salt and mix well.
- Add potatoes and mix well so that the spices well coat the potatoes.
- Cover and cook for couple minutes.
- Mix it and continue to cook for another 8-10 minutes on medium – medium high flame until well cooked. Just before potatoes are fully cooked, add the chilies and continue to cook. Keep checking on the potatoes in between to make sure they don’t burn.
- Remove cover and fry for another 2-3 minutes.
- Turn of the stove, garnish with cilantro.
- Serve with roties or rice.