The inspiration for this recipe is Veggie/Fruit a month event announcement for this month. Along with the announcement, Vanessa had posted a recipe for radish with chickpeas and pumpkin. I don't cook radish that much and the only time I buy radish is when I want to add it to my pappu charu. These days my fridge is stocked up with radish as we have been eating very healthy food; broccoli, radish, beetroot, carrot and lots of fish. Our dinner for the last 2 ½ weeks was grilled chicken or fish with some salad. Yesterday I cooked rice for dinner, mix of white and brown rice, and was going through my fridge to make some curry or gravy to go with the rice. When I saw radish in the fridge, radish with pumpkin chickpeas came to my mind. I did not have any pumpkin and was little hesitant to cook radish. Since I could not think of any more ideas, I went ahead and prepared this curry. It turned out pretty good! The guys did not even realize it was radish curry until I mentioned it to them 🙂 They thought it was potato!
Total Time: 20 - 25 minutes
Preparation: 5 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 - 20 minutes
Serves: 2 - 3
- 1 ½ - 2 tbsp. Oil
- 1 small Onion chopped or ½ cup chopped Onion
- 2 tsp. Ginger Garlic paste
- 2 – 3 tsp. Coriander Powder
- 1 ½ tsp. Chili Powder (adjust to your tolerance level)
- 1 tsp. Salt (adjust to taste)
- ¼ tsp. Turmeric Powder
- ½ long white Radish or approx. 1 ½ cups diced Radish
- 1 Vine Ripe Tomato chopped or ½ - ¾ cup chopped Tomato (use tomato of your choice)
- ½ - 1 cup cooked Chickpeas (I used 1 cup chickpeas. Can use canned chickpeas)
- 1 ½ cups Water
- Cilantro to garnish
- Peal radish and dice it into 1” cubes. Chop onion and tomatoes and keep aside.
- In a pan heat oil and sauté the onion until light brown. This is should take about 2 minutes.
- Add ginger garlic paste and sauté for a minute or so until the raw smell disappears.
- Add coriander powder, chili powder, turmeric, salt and mix well.
- Add radish pieces and stir well so that the spices coat the radish.
- Add tomatoes, chickpeas and mix it well. Cover the pan and cook until tomatoes are soft and mushy.
- Chickpeas will get a little mushy and will give the gravy some texture too. If one doesn’t like mushy peas, add the chickpeas after the tomatoes are soft and mushy.
- Add water, cover and cook for another 8 – 10 minutes or until the radish is cooked.
- Turn of the heat, garnish with cilantro and serve hot with steaming rice or with roti or paratha.
Umm Mymoonah says
Healthy and delicious curry, yumm. Thank you for sending it to AWED 🙂
surely a different combo...looks very good and yummy
Smitha's Spicy Flavors
delicious combination looks wonderful
Vidhya jayadeep says
The curry looks so flavorful and beautiful.
ummm yummy combo,..luv the pics too
Radish and chickpeas together as curry looks super delicious, fantastic..
Harini-Jaya Rupanagudi says
radish n chickpeas??? different combination!!
and it was a pretty nice combination!
Yummy and innovative 🙂 looks nice 🙂