Radish stir fry is a quick and easy Indian stir fry with hot Madras curry powder. Curry powder is optional and enhances the flavor of the stir fry. Substitute Madras curry powder with sambar powder or any other spice blend. Serve radish stir fry with steamed rice or any Indian flat breads such as roti or parathas.
My theme for this week is stir fries and for the first day I picked a simple radish stir fry seasoned with hot Madras curry powder along with other basic spices. Radish is mooli in hindi and mullangi in Telugu. Radish stir fry is also called mooli stir fry ~ mooli sabzi ~ mullangi fry ~ mullangi koora.
Radish is stir fried with curry leaves, cumin seeds, green chilies, onions, minced garlic and seasoned with chili powder and Madras curry powder. The first day I made the stir fry, Mr.U didn’t even touch it and the second day, he ate it all leaving a spoonful for me. 🙁
Total Time: 20 – 30 minutes
Preparation: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 15 – 20 minutes
- 1 lb Radish, about 18-20 (I used red round radish)
- 1 ½ – 2 tablespoon Oil (I used 2 tablespoon and it was a bit too much)
- 3-4 Curry Leaves
- ¼ – ½ teaspoon Cumin Seeds
- ½ small Onion, chopped
- 3 small Green Chilies, chopped
- 1 ½ – 2 teaspoon minced Garlic
- ½ teaspoon Chili Powder (adjust to taste and mind you Madras curry powder is also hot)
- ½ – ¾ teaspoon Salt (adjust to taste)
- ¼ teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- ½ teaspoon Hot Madras Curry Powder (I used Rajah brand)
- Cilantro to garnish
- Wash and lightly peel radish.
- Cut each radish into two and slice each piece into 3 or 4 pieces depending on the size of the radish. That is is 6-8 semi circles per radish.
- Cut rest of the veggies and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a nonstick pan and add curry leaves and cumin.
- When cumin roasts in oil, add green chilies, onions and saute until onions are soft.
- Add garlic and saute until it is lightly roasted in oil.
- Add chili powder, salt, turmeric powder and stir.
- Add radish, stir, reduce the flame to medium high and cook for 10-15 minutes until radish is cooked. Stir a few times in between for even cooking of radish.
- Uncover, add curry powder and saute for few minutes until done.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve with rice or roti or paratha.
- Substitute Madras curry powder with sambar powder or a curry powder of your choice or a spice mix. OR you can skip curry powder and just use chili powder instead.