Last Updated on
Saag is a green leaves vegetable curry and the greens used can be spinach, mustard greens or collard greens. The most famous saag is sarson ka saag, mustard leaves dish from the state of Punjab. Today I have saag aloo (potato) and the green leaf vegetable I used here is spinach. I had planned on posting a different recipe today but I was not happy with the way that curry turned out. Hence made this for today’s lunch to send it to this week’s Cooking from Cookbook Challenge.
I make spinach potato curry once in a while and today I followed the recipe from the cookbook Curries. The recipe is similar to how I cook but for blanching the greens. I usually use cumin seeds, some green chilies, chili powder and coriander powder unlike this recipe which calls for very minimal spices; mustard seeds and chili powder. Since I used baby spinach, I did not blanch spinach and adjust the spices to my palate. Read it as added more chili powder to my taste. 🙂
Total Time: 25 – 30 minutes
Preparation: 5 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 – 25 minutes
Serves: 3 – 4
- 2 – 3 tbsp. Oil (I used 3 tbsp.)
- ½ tsp. Mustard Seeds
- ½ small Onion cut in half and sliced
- 2 tsp. Ginger Garlic Paste
- 2 tsp. Chili Powder (adjust to taste)
- 1 tsp. Salt (adjust to taste)
- ¼ – ½ tsp. Turmeric Powder (my addition)
- 1 large (1lb.) Potato, peeled and cut into cubes (I used Russet Potato)
- ¼ – ⅓ cup Water or Vegetable Stock (I used water)
- 10 oz. / 284 grams Spinach, chopped (I used baby spinach)
- Peel potato and cut into small cubes. Chop spinach and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan, add mustard seeds and let the seeds splutter.
- Add onion and saute until translucent, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add ginger garlic paste and saute for another couple of minutes until ginger is slightly roasted.
- Add chili powder, salt, potatoes and give a good stir. Saute for a minute or two until spices coat the potatoes.
- Add water, bring to a boil, reduce the heat to medium to medium high, cover and cook for 8-10 minutes until potatoes and almost cooked. Stir in between for even cooking and to avoid burnt curry.
- Add spinach and mix well. Cover and cook for 2-3 minutes until spinach wilts.
- Remove the cover, taste the curry and adjust spices accordingly.
- Continue cooking until both spinach and potatoes and cooked.
- Serve hot with roti or rice.