I am not a big fan of soya nuggets and these nuggets are strangers in my kitchen. However, I like soya granules and cook it once in a while. The reason I don't particular like soya nuggets is, no matter how much spice I add to it, it always tastes bland and I also do not like the texture of the nuggets. I have eaten soya nuggets at my relatives places and it tasted fine. I tried following their recipe but cooking good soya nuggets just wasn't my cup of tea! I normally soak the nuggets in boiling water, squeeze out all the water from the nuggets and cook it along with a vegetable such as spinach or beans. No matter how I cooked, it never appealed to my taste buds.
Last week when I saw Sindhi Rasoi's soya nuggets curry, I was tempted to try it out. The reasons being, it looked delicious and second, she pressure cooked the nuggets. Hence, I decided to give these nuggets another try, with a new cooking technique, pressure cooking.
I followed Alka's recipe as give except for the heat level. I added more spice/heat to the curry to suit my taste. The curry turned out good and the nuggets tasted good as well. The trick I think was pressure cooking the nuggets. Alka also gave an option of cooking the curry in a pan but I opted the pressure cooker. Thanks Alka, for sharing the recipe!
Source: Alka of Sindhi Rasoi
Preparation Time: 30 minutes (to soak the nuggets)
Cooking Time: 30 -35 minutes (this includes pressure cooker cool off time)
- 50 gms or 1 cup of Soya Nuggets
- 1 tablespoon Oil
- Whole Garam Masala (1 Cardamom, 1 Clove, ½” Cinnamon, ½ teaspoon Saha Jeera, 1 Bay Leaf
- 1 ½ medium sized Onion chopped or 1 cup chopped Onion
- 1 ½ - 2 teaspoon Ginger Garlic paste
- 2 Green Chilies (adjust to taste)
- 1 teaspoon Coriander Powder
- 2 teaspoon Chili Powder (adjust to taste)
- ½ teaspoon Turmeric Powder
- 1 large Vine Tomato chopped or 1 cup of chopped tomato
- Salt to taste
- Cilantro to garnish
- Soak nuggets in salted warm water for 30 minutes. Drain the water and wash the nuggets 3-5 times in clean water. Squeeze out the water from the nuggets. Nuggets will double in size after soaking in water.
- Meantime, heat oil in a pressure pan. This curry can be cooked in a pressure cooker or in a pan. I chose to cook it in a pressure pan, as I wanted to pressure cook the nuggets.
- Add whole garam masala to heated oil and let them sizzle.
- Add onion and sauté until the onions turn light yellow brown. Alka suggested removing access oil after sauteing the onions but I did not drain out the excess oil.
- Add ginger garlic paste, green chilies and sauté until the raw smell of the ginger is gone.
- Add tomatoes, coriander powder, turmeric, chili powder, salt and cook until tomatoes are soft and mushy.
- Add squeezed nuggets and sauté for couple of minutes until the spices are well coated.
- Add a cup of water and pressure cook for 5-6 whistles. I lost track of the count. I think I cooked it for 6 whistles. Turn of the heat and let the cooker cool off.
- Remove the cover, adjust the seasoning, and add more water if required. Bring it to a boil and let it simmer on medium flame for 3-4 minutes or until the curry is done. I did not add additional water and my gravy was very thick. Next day, I add little bit of water to the left over curry and boiled it for 2-3 minutes. I liked the thinner gravy than the thick gravy.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve hot with rice or roti. I served mine with rice.
This delicious Soya Nuggets Curry is my Tried and Tasted recipe from Sindhi Rasoi. This is my entry to Tried and Tasted event started my Zlamushka, taken over by Lakshmi and hosted by Ria's Collections. Featured blog this month is, you guessed it, Alka's Sindhi Rasoi!
Jessica Rahul Chellani says
I too tired but I added peas and panner as well
Curry looks very delicious and yummy .Do drop by my space when u find time.
im looking for a nuggets curry and i got a perfect one here..looks delicious...
Biny Anoop says
hey gr8 recipe...if u said its chicken or mutton korma..noone wud have disagreed...looks awesome and its so healthy...thx for the share
Sushma Mallya says
Looks so delicious,love soya nuggets too
I too love to cook soya chunks. Your curry looks totally yum
Divya Vikram says
Yum! I have some nuggets leftover. Will surely try this next time!
Looks yummy!! This is one of my favourite curries!!
I make a similar gravy but add peas too. I can eat soya nuggets any how:). A good recipe!
love soy nuggets and make it once a week. will try this version this week. love the gravy.
looks so yum,,wish u happy navratri,..