Yes, you read it right! Today’s curry is tandoori tofu curry. To make the long story short, one day I marinated some tofu to prepare tandoori tofu. That day, I was alone for dinner and grilled some of the marinated tofu for myself. The next day, I did not know what to do with the remaining tofu. So I grilled it, added it to some onion tomato masala and sautéed it with some green bell peppers and diced onions. It turned out pretty good. Ever since, I have made it a few times and served it with rice, roti and sometimes I would just eat the tofu cubes for breakfast or as a snack in the evening. It is a very easy preparation as well. Moreover, if you have the ingredients ready, it can be prepared in 30 minutes.
Total Time: 30 minutes
Preparation: 10 minutes
Cooking: 20 minutes
- 1 package or 1 lb. Extra Firm Tofu
- ½ cup Yogurt
- 1-1 ½ tsp. Chili Powder (I used 1 ½ tp. but adjust to your preference)
- 1 – 1 ½ tsp. Tandoori Masala (I used 1 ½ tsp. Adjust to your taste. I used Rajah brand)
- ½ tsp. Garam Masala (Rajah Brand)
- 1 ½ tsp. Salt (adjust to taste)
- 1 tsp. Lime Juice
- ½ tbsp. Oil for grilling
For the curry
- 2 tbsp. Oil
- ¾ - 1 cup chopped Onions
- 1 ½ - 2 tsp. Ginger Garlic Paste
- 2 tsp. Coriander Powder
- ½ tsp. Chili Powder
- Pinch of Salt
- 1 medium sized Tomato chopped or ¾ cup chopped Tomatoes
- 1 small Bell Pepper diced
- 1 small Onion diced (I did not use it this time)
- Cut the tofu into 16 rectangular pieces. I find it easy to grill long pieces than the small ones. I cut the cubes into smaller pieces after grilling it.
- Make a marinade by mixing all the ingredients listed under tandoori tofu, except oil & tofu. Add the tofu bars and mix well so that the marinade coats the tofu. Let it marinate for at least 30 minutes or preferably overnight. Since I am making this curry in a hurry under 30 minutes, I did not marinate it.
- Cut all the vegetables required for the curry. We got to do some multi-tasking to get the curry done in 30 minutes. It would be better to keep all the veggies ready, before starting the cooking process.
- Take a grill pan and spread ½ tbsp. of oil on it. Heat the pan. Place all the tofu pieces on the pan and grill it for 8-10 minutes, 2 minutes on each side until each side is lightly browned. Reserve the marinade, we can use it in the curry. Transfer the pieces to a plate and cut each piece into 2-3 cubes.
- While the tofu is grilling, in a separate skillet or a frying pan, heat the oil for the curry. Add onions and cook until they turn light brown in color. This will take about 2-3 minutes and don’t forget to turn the tofu.
- Add ginger garlic paste and sauté for a minute or two until it is lightly roasted.
- Add coriander, chili powder, salt, turmeric and mix well.
- Check the tofu and turn it if required.
- Add tomatoes and cook them for couple minutes until they become soft.
- Check the tofu and turn it if needed. Now you see why I said it is better to chop all the vegetables and keep it ready before making the curry.
- Add the marinade and continue to cook. Be careful here and stir the mixture as soon as you add the marinade. Otherwise the yogurt will curdle. Cook the mixture for a minute or two and the oil will begin to separate.
- Add the bell peppers and onion (if using) and continue to cook for another couple of minutes or until oil begins to separate.
- Add the tofu pieces and continue to cook until the masala/curry coats the tofu.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve it with rice or roti.
Grilling tofu and love the smoke coming off the pan! No idea how I captured it!
- Adjust spices according to your taste. I mentioned the masala brands I used because the spice level varies from brand to brand. Also, I am not promoting Rajah brand spices. I buy these spices because they come in small containers/tins with a lid. Storing them is lot easier than the spices that come in carton boxes.
well prepared, looks absolutely droolworthy 😛
They look amazing!! Would love to sink my teeth into one!!
Mom chef says
Love tofu in gravy / grilled forms, otherwise my family somehow dislikes tofu (probably the variety also matters).. Will try this out.
Priya Mahadevan says
That is a mouthwatering preparation, Usha, I particularly like the chili sticking out in the first pic and the photo of the marinated tofu! lovely post!
Lovely colour Usha, must have been great..
All delicious dishes happen by chance (says me :0). That tofu masala curry looks absolutely delicious. I'm going to try this very soon. Lovely pics.
I love Tofu.Bookmarked this mouthwatering recipe
Suma Gandlur says
Omg, am just drooling over that fabulous looking tandoori tofu curry...delicious!
WOW..This is so good..will try soon
Vidhya Jayadeep says
Would love to try this yummy looking tandoori dish.
Priya (Yallapantula) Mitharwal says
wow, what an innovation, love the idea, beautiful click and presentation !!!
Looks good. I am sure my husband will like it 🙂
I never used Tandoori Masala.
I have always been looking out for tofu recipes and this is one looks so good. Cannot wait to try it out.