Starting today, I am on a blogging marathon for the next seven days. Just like the previous marathons, we have a theme to choose. But this time, we have an option of doing two themes, one theme for three days and the other one for four days. I picked cooking with less than five ingredients and condiments. For cooking with five or less ingredients, we can count oil, salt and tempering/seasoning as one ingredient. To know more about the various themes and participating bloggers for this marathon, checkout the blogging marathon page on Srivalli’s blog.
For the first day of the marathon, I cooked zucchini rice with five or less ingredients. I counted oil, salt and tempting ingredients as one ingredient. I adapted the recipe from Manjula’s Kitchen. I substituted red chilies with green, cumin with caraway seeds and omitted the mustard seeds. The rice turned out good and it tasted like bagara rice (without any vegetables). I was tempted to add a few more ingredients to further enhance the flavor but held backed as I had to cook with five or less ingredients. The next time I make, I will certainly add a few more. This rice is cooked by sautéing shredded zucchini & rice in the tempering and then cooking the rice until done. Here is how I made.
Source: Mankula’s Kitchen Total Time:
30 – 35 minutes Preparation:
10 minutes (excludes time to soak the rice) Cooking Time:
20 – 25 minutes Serves:
2-3Measuring cup I used here is the one that comes with the rice cooker.
1 rice cooker cup = ¾ cup regular measuring cup.
- Tempering & Seasoning
- 3 tbsp. Oil
- 2-4 Cardamoms (I used 4)
- 1-2 Cloves (I used 2)
- ½ “Cinnamon Stick
- 1 tsp. Caraway Seeds/Black Cumin/Shaha Jeera
- 2 Bay Leaves
- ¾ tsp. Salt
- Green Chilies 4-6 split into two pieces (I used 6)
- Shredded Zucchini 2 cups
- Rice 2 cups
- Lime Juice 1 ½ tsp. or ½ tbsp.
- Wash rice and soak it for at least 15 minutes to 30 minutes. I soaked it for about 20 minutes.
- Shred the zucchini.
- Heat oil in a pan; add shah jeera, cardamom, cloves, bay leaves, cinnamon and fry for a few seconds, until they are roasted and nice aroma comes.
- Add the green chilies roast for a few seconds.
- Add zucchini and sauté for a minute.
- Add rice and continue to sauté for another minute are so.
- Add 3 ½ cups water (1 cup rice : 1 ¾ cups water), salt, lime juice and mix well.
- Cover and cook until it boils. Reduce the heat to medium and cook until water evaporates.
- Reduce to the heat to low and cook for another five minutes until all the water evaporates, another five minutes are so.
- Turn off the heat, garnish with cilantro and serve hot your favorite curry.
Variation to prepare this rice is addition of mint leaves, onion and ginger garlic paste.
Recipes posted this month in 2008, in 2009 and in 2010.
This is my entry to Amy’s Healing Foods: Zucchini, an event start by Siri.