Ultimate Double Chocolate Cookies
Hello my dear readers, are there any chocolate lovers out there? Starting today, I am on a week long blogging marathon with seven days of chocolate recipes as my theme. Are you ready to get high on chocolate? Well, I am! I start this New Year’s marathon with ultimate double chocolate cookies & these are the ultimate chocolate cookies I have ever eaten. One got to be a true chocoholic to enjoy these chocolate decadents! It has both coco powder and chocolate chips, hence the double chocolate cookies. So, lets get to the recipe right away..
Source: Sweet & Simple Bakes
Total Time: 40 – 45 minutes (excludes refrigerating time)
Preparation: 20 – 30 minutes
Baking Time: 10 – 12 minutes
Yields: 40 Cookies (depends on the size)
- 250 grams / 9 oz. All Purpose Flour
- 50 grams / 2 oz. Coco Powder
- ½ tsp. Baking Soda
- 175 grams / 6 oz. softened Butter
- 200 grams / 7 oz. Light Brown Sugar
- 100 grams / 4 oz. Superfine or Castor Sugar
- 1 tsp. Vanilla Extract
- 2 Eggs lightly beaten (I left the eggs on the counter top for an hour to bring them to room temperature. The recipe did not call for eggs at room temperature, but most of the baking recipes, especially cakes, call for eggs at room temperature.)
- 300 grams / 11 oz. Plain or Milk Chocolate Chips (I used half milk chocolate chips & half semi sweet chocolate chips)
- 2 – 3 Baking sheets greased or lined with non-stick Teflon or non-stick paper. I greased my sheets. I used 2 big & 1 small cookie sheets.
- Saran wrap to wrap the dough to refrigerate.
- Ice cream scoop or a cookie dough scoop and a spoon, if you do not want to dirty your hands by rolling out the cookie dough.
- Last but not the least, Oven, mixing bowls, measuring scale and a mixer
- Sift together flour, coco powder and baking soda into a bowl.
- In another big mixing bowl, soften the butter. Use a big bowl that would hold all the ingredients. I left my butter on the counter top for 30 minutes and it still was a little firm. Leave it out a little long and softening it would become easy.
- Add brown sugar & superfine sugar to softened butter and beat together until light & fluffy. I used my electric hand mixture.
- Add lightly beaten eggs to the butter mixture, beating it until the eggs are well incorporated.
- Add vanilla extract and mix well.
- Fold in the sifted flour until it is well incorporated into the butter mixture. I used the fold setting of the hand mixer to fold in the flour.
- Add chocolate chips and mix well using a wooden spoon.
- Take a saran wrap, transfer all the dough on to it, wrap it properly in the wrap and refrigerate the dough for at least 1 hour. I refrigerated mine for 6 hours. Also, I shaped the dough into a log, so that it would be easy to shape the dough into small balls before baking.
- When ready to bake the cookies, pre-heat the oven to 375 F / 190 C / Gas mark 5.
- Grease the baking sheets with butter or line them with non-stick Teflon or non-stick paper.
- Divide the dough into 40 equal size balls and flatten them. Place them on a cookie sheet. Dampen your hands when making the balls and the dough won’t stick to your hands. If one doesn’t want to use their hands, use an ice-cream scoop or dough scooper to make equal balls and then, using the back of a spoon, press the dough balls for a flatter shape.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes until baked. I baked mine for 10 minutes. When you remove the cookies, they will be a little unbaked but that is fine. Cookies will continue to bake for few more minutes even after removing them form the oven. My cookies were soft and that is how I like them. If you want crisper and hard cookies bake them a little longer. But do remember, cookies continue to bake even after removing from the oven.
- Cool the cookies on the baking sheet for 2 minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack. Let them cool completely.
- Store the cookies in an air tight container.
This day in 2011: Spinach Fry
Recipes posted this month: in 2009, in 2010 & in 2011.
Blogging Marathon: Checkout more about this marathon and my blogging buddies on Srivalli’s Blogging Marathon Page.
Event Entries: I could not participate in last couple of melas Srivalli had hosted. To make up for those, I am going to send her seven delicious chocolate treats for her current mela! To start with, Ultimate Double Chocolate Cookies are making their grand entry into Chocolate Mela. I am also sending this to Bake Fest # 3, an event started by Vardhini and to Srav’s Cooking Concepts # 6: Chocolate Fest.