Zucchini Lime Cookies
|July 30, 2012||Posted by MySpicyKitchen under Appetizers & Snacks, Appetizers/Snacks, Baked & Grilled, Bakes, Baking, By Category, Cookies, Biscuits, Zucchini|
Last year for Christmas, my nephew gave me a cookbook, The Food52 Cookbook: 140 Winning Recipes from Exceptional Home Cooks. As the title suggests, all the recipes are from home cooks and some of them are bloggers. The recipe for Zucchini Lemon Cookies was shared by Kelsey The Naptime Chef caught my eye and bookmarked the recipe and few more. I made the cookies on Friday ago & we liked them. Cookies tasted more like cake cookies or madeleines and perfect for a teatime snack.
The recipe called for lemon rind and I substituted it with lime rind and it gave a nice flavor to the cookies. I had to bake them in two batches and my first batch of cookies were bigger than my second batch. Depending on the size of the cookies, this recipe yields 41 – 48 cookies. I got 41 cookies and as I said, all my cookies are not of the same size. I baked them for 15 minutes and the cookies were soft and I liked them. If one likes harder cookies, trying baking for 16 minutes.
Source: The Food52 Cookbook: 140 Winning Recipes from Exceptional Home Cooks
Total Time: 30 – 35 minutes
Preparation: 15 minutes
Baking Time: 15 – 16 minutes
Yields: 3 ½ – 4 dozen
- 1 large Egg at room temperature
- ¾ cup Butter at room temperature (I used ½ cup butter ¼ cup ghee (clarified butter)
- 2 cups / 250 grams All Purpose Flour
- 1 tsp. Baking Powder
- Pinch of Salt
- ¾ cup / 150 grams Sugar
- 2 tbsp. Lime or Lemon rind or zest (I use the rind of 2 limes)
- 1 cup or 1 medium sized Zucchini grated
- 2 Large Cookie Sheets
- Keep it egg on the countertop for 3-4 hours to bring it to room temperature.
- I forgot to bring my butter to room temperature so melted it in the microwave for 1 minute.
- Measure all the ingredients and keep them aside.
- Mix together all the dry ingredients and keep it aside.
- Pre-heat the oven 350 F.
- In bowl beat butter and sugar until creamy & fluffy. With my electric hand held mixer, it took 2 minutes.
- Add egg and continue to beat for few seconds until egg is incorporated into the butter sugar mixture.
- Add lime rind, grated zucchini and mix well.
- Now fold in the flour little at a time. I set my mixer to fold and added 2-3 teaspoons of flour at a time. Fold in all the flour.
- Using two teaspoons make round balls and drop it on to the cookie sheet. I had to bake in two batches. I popped the first tray in the oven and then shaped the rest of the dough into the cookies for the second batch.
- Bake the cookies in the pre-heated oven for 14 – 16 minutes until the edges are gold brown. I baked for 15 minutes. Cookies were soft and I liked them. If one doesn’t like soft cookies, bake them for another minute. Do remember oven temperatures vary from oven to oven.
- Remove from the oven and let them cool for couple of minutes on the tray and then transfer to a wire rack and let them cool.
- Store the cookies in an airtight container.
Recipes posted this day in 2008: Chicken Pakoda and Makha butta with ellipaya miram or corn on the cob with chili garlic butter