Cabbage cucumber salad sounds very fancy, doesn't it? Well, it is non other than cabbage cucumber raita. I bookmarked the recipe over two years ago when Nupur did a guest post on Sailu's Kitchen. The recipe she posted is a salad but I modified it to raita. Every time I post a raita recipe, a ramble about how much I dislike plain yogurt but love raitas! I am not going to do that today and get right to the recipe. This raita/salad is yet another addition to my raita recipe collection and tweaked the recipe to my taste.
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Serves: 2-4 depending on how you serve it.
- 1 cup Cabbage chopped or shredded
- 1 Kirby chopped or ⅔-3/4 cups chopped Kirby or cucumber
- ¼ cup chopped Red Onion
- 1 Green Chili seeded and chopped
- ⅛ teaspoon Cumin Powder (store bought)
- ¼ teaspoon Mustard Powder (I like to lightly roasted it before making a powder but I have some unroasted mustard powder and used that instead)
- 1 - 1 ½ cup Yogurt (I used half homemade and half store bought yogurt)
- ¾ - 1 teaspoon Salt (adjust to taste)
- Chop the vegetables and keep them aside.
- In a bowl add salt, mustard powder, cumin powder, yogurt and whisk it until all the spices are mixed well.
- Pour this over the salad.
- Chill it until ready to serve.
- Serve it as a side dish with rice or with grilled meat or poultry.
- In the picture I used 1 cup of yogurt and after taking the picture, I added another ½ cup of yogurt. I like more yogurt in this raita.
- Can substitute cabbage with store bought coleslaw packet.