Cabbage cucumber salad sounds very fancy, doesn't it? Well, it is non other than cabbage cucumber raita. I bookmarked the recipe over two years ago when Nupur did a guest post on Sailu's Kitchen. The recipe she posted is a salad but I modified it to raita. Every time I post a raita recipe, a ramble about how much I dislike plain yogurt but love raitas! I am not going to do that today and get right to the recipe. This raita/salad is yet another addition to my raita recipe collection and tweaked the recipe to my taste.
Preparation Time: 10 minutes
Serves: 2-4 depending on how you serve it.
- 1 cup Cabbage chopped or shredded
- 1 Kirby chopped or ⅔-3/4 cups chopped Kirby or cucumber
- ¼ cup chopped Red Onion
- 1 Green Chili seeded and chopped
- ⅛ teaspoon Cumin Powder (store bought)
- ¼ teaspoon Mustard Powder (I like to lightly roasted it before making a powder but I have some unroasted mustard powder and used that instead)
- 1 - 1 ½ cup Yogurt (I used half homemade and half store bought yogurt)
- ¾ - 1 teaspoon Salt (adjust to taste)
- Chop the vegetables and keep them aside.
- In a bowl add salt, mustard powder, cumin powder, yogurt and whisk it until all the spices are mixed well.
- Pour this over the salad.
- Chill it until ready to serve.
- Serve it as a side dish with rice or with grilled meat or poultry.
- In the picture I used 1 cup of yogurt and after taking the picture, I added another ½ cup of yogurt. I like more yogurt in this raita.
- Can substitute cabbage with store bought coleslaw packet.
This is my entry to Only - Salads event started by Pari. I am also sending Chickpea Salad for the event.
i saw your post on Onehotstove about fried onion paste with tomatoes for gravies.would like to share it with me/
lini, I roast cardamon, cloves, cinnamon, cumin & onions in some oil until onions turn light golden color. Then add tomatoes and roast it until tomatoes are soft and mushy. Add some turmeric and salt. Cool the mixture and grind to fine paste. You can use the quantities I mention here for the masala. I hope this helps. If you need further clarification, let know.
Love that dressing,salad looks soo yummy and wonderful..
Simple and perfect coolent for body.
Gayathri Kumar says
Simple yet tasty salad..