A quick and easy semi homemade corn tortilla chips are a must for any party. These are ready in less than 15 minutes with only 10 minutes of bake time!
Update, Jan 2018 - Old images edited and resized to fit current template. The post is also optimized for SEO.
For the month of January, Sharanya the host of Home bakers challenge for this month, gave us 6 bakes to choose from. All the bakes were tempting and I chose to do a the only savory bake on the list, home baked corn tortilla chips.
These chips are perfect to munch on. I made the chips with a pack of small corn tortillas and was munching on them all day. The chips were gone in a day! Home Bakers Challenge is an event started by Priya.
How to make Homemade Corn Tortilla Chips
Source: The Kitchen
Total Time: 20 minutes
Preparation: 10 minutes
Bake Time: 10 minutes
Serves: 2 -3 people
- 1 pack Corn Tortillas (I used small white corn tortillas)
- ½ tbsp. Vegetable or Canola Oil or as required
- ¼ tsp. Salt + ¼ tsp. Chili Powder (can use spices of your choice)
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 F.
- Place a tortilla on a cutting board or a plate. Brush the top of the tortilla with oil. I used my fingers to spread the oil but a brush would work perfectly. Make sure the edges are oiled properly.
- Place another tortilla on top of the first tortilla and brush the top of the second tortilla with some oil. Repeat this step until all the tortillas are stacked and oiled on one side.
- Using a sharp knife, cut the tortillas into wedges. First cut it into half, and then cut each half again into another half. Do it four times and should have a stack of eight wedges. I cut the stack into 8 stacks of wedges but can be cut into 6 as well. Stacking the tortillas makes it easy to cut all the tortillas at once.
- Take two large cookie sheets and thinly apply oil.
- Place the wedges on the cookie sheet, with oiled side facing up and un-oiled side touching the oiled cookie sheet. Slight overlapping of the wedges is fine.
- Sprinkle spice mixture on the tortilla wedges, making sure all the wedges are lightly seasoned.
- Bake in the middle rack for 8-12 minutes or until tortilla wedges/chips are crisp. I baked both the trays at once, one in the middle rack and the other right below the middle rack (the last second rack). Check after 8 minutes to make sure the chips are not burned.
- Turn the sheet around and continue to bake. The chips are done when the edges are dry & crisp, and lightly lifted from the tray. The center might be soft but will crispen as it cools.
- Remove from the oven and cool. Once completely cool, store in an airtight container.
- Serve the chips as it is or with salsa, guacamole or dip of ones preference.
- Temperatures vary from oven to oven, check the baking times the first time you bake these chips.
- I baked for 10 minutes and the chips in the bottom second rack were crispier than the ones baked in the middle rack. However, the chips in the middle rack did become crispier as they cooled. The next time I bake these chips, I would bake the chips on the middle rack for an extra minute or two.
Like the recipe, Pin It.