Chili shrimp is a quick and easy Indo Chinese side dish. Serve it with fried rice, steamed rice or noodles.
Second dish for this week’s Indo Chinese theme is Chili shrimp gravy. Seasoned and battered Shrimp is deep fried and then cooked in a gravy. For a healthier version, as in this recipe, sauté shrimp instead of deep frying.
Quick and easy, under 15 minutes chili shrimp is a good recipe to include in your weeknight dinner menu along with quick and easy egg fried rice.
Indo Chinese Chili Prawns Gravy Recipe
Indo Chinese Chili Shrimp Gravy
- ½ lb medium Shrimp 15 pieces
- ⅛ !tsp Black Pepper :Powder
- ⅛ tsp Salt
- ½ tsp Soya Sauce
- ½ tbsp Cornstarch Indian cornflour
- 3-4 tsp Oil
- ½ small Onion diced
- ½ tsp Ginger Garlic Paste or chopped
- 1-2 small Green Chilies slit vertically
- Marinated Shrimp
- 1 tbsp Soya Sauce
- ½ tsp Chili Garlic Paste Sambal
- ½ tsp Rice Vinegar
- ⅛ tsp Black Pepper Powder adjust to taste
- ¼ tsp Salt adjust to taste
- ¾ - 1 cups Water
- 1 tbsp Cornstarch
- ⅛ cup or 2 tbsp Water
- Chopped scallions for garnish
- Peel, devein and wash shrimp.
- In a bowl take shrimp, black pepper powder, salt, soya sauce and mix well.
- Sprinkle cornstarch and mix well.
- Marinate for 10 - 30 minutes or longer in the fridge. If pressed for time, skip marinating and continue with the rest of the preparation.
Chili Shrimp Gravy
- Heat oil in a wok.
- On high flame, saute ginger garlic paste, add onions, green chilies and saute for a few seconds.
- Add one shrimp at a time to the wok and stir fry on high flame until shrimp begins to curl up.
- Add soya sauce, chili paste, vinegar and give a quick stir until sauces coat shrimp.
- Add water, bring to a boil.
- Meantime make a paste of cornstarch, salt, black pepper powder.
- When water comes to a boil, pour cornstarch paste over chili shrimp gravy and stir vigorously to avoid lumps.
- Let the gravy boil and thicken to desired consistency
- Sprinkle green onions and serve immediately with steamed rice, fried rice or noodles.
- Green Chilies - Either spit the chilies and keep them long or chop them. I prefer keeping them long as it is easy to weed out.
Like the recipe? Pin It for later!