Egg fried rice Indo Chinese style is an easy rice preparation great to serve with any Chinese gravy or with some sauce on the side. Under 15 minutes recipe is great to use up left over rice and good lunch box idea.
Indo Chinese Cuisine
Chinese cuisine is very popular in India but it is not authentic. However, Indianized Chinese or Indo Chinese is one of the most preferred restaurant foods. Each city claims theirs is the best. Being a Hyderabadi, I love the Chinese food we get in Hyderabad. The theme for this week is Indo Chinese and the first recipe is Indo Chinese egg fried rice.
Indo Chinese Fried Rice
Growing up, I remember Chinese fried rice as white rice with colorful vegetables and eggs. Nowadays a lot of Indo Chinese recipes add soya sauce resulting in a brown fried rice. Though soya sauce gives a nice flavor, at times simple egg veg fried rice with minimal ingredients and seasoning is very flavorful and goes very well with Chinese gravies.
Hence today’s recipe is a simple fried rice seasoned with salt and pepper. A great recipe to use up leftover rice. It is also a great one to serve as is or with any Chinese side dishes. Add cooked meats of choice for a non veg fried rice.
How to cook vegetables?
There are two ways to cook the the vegetables for fried rice. One is sauté vegetables along with scallion greens or onion before adding rice, as in this shrimp fried rice. This is how I usually do.
The second way is to precook the vegetables either steaming or boiling in hot water for couple of minutes and then add to fried rice. The latter is done in this recipe.
How to serve?
Serve rice with your favorite Chinese gravy or with some chili sauce. In the frame, it is served with Indo Chinese chili shrimp gravy.
Detailed, Printable Recipe
Egg Fried Rice
- 1 cup Rice cooked or 2 ¾ cups cooked rice
- Scrambled Egg
- 7 green Beans chopped ⅓ cup chopped
- 1 ½ medium sized Carrots chopped ⅓ cup choppped
- 1 tablespoon Oil
- ⅓ cup chopped Scallion Greens or Onions
- ½ teaspoon Ginger Garlic Paste or chopped
- ½ teaspoon Black Pepper Powder adjust to taste
- ½ - ¾ teaspoon Salt adjust to taste
- 1-2 Eggs I used 2 eggs
- ½ teaspoon Water
- ⅛ teaspoon Black Pepper Powder
- ⅛ teaspoon Salt
- 1 teaspoon Oil
- Cook rice and let it cool. Leftover rice works great.
- Take water, salt, black pepper listed under scrambled egg and mix.
- Add egg and beat lightly.
- Heat oil in a pan and pour egg mixture and spread it out turning the pan around.
- Once the omelet is semi solid, scramble it.
- When the egg is just solid, transfer to a bowl and keep aside until needed. Do not overcook egg.
- Chop green beans, carrots and keep aside.
- Boil water in a bowl and add veggies. Let boil for a couple of minutes or until soft. Do not over cook.
- Drain and keep the veggies aside until need. Boil veggies just before making fried rice.
- Alternatively, steam the veggies for 5 minutes or just until cooked, as shown in the video to retain the nutrients.
- Take oil in pan or a wok, saute onions and ginger garlic paste until onions are soft.
- Add black pepper, salt and mix well.
- Add cooked rice and stir fry for 2-3 minutes.
- When rice is lightly fried, add veggies and egg.
- Toss and stir until mixed together.
- Fry for few more minutes until cooked.
- Add green onion and fry for couple minutes, garnish with cilantro and serve
- Vegetables - Blanch or boil chopped vegetables for couple of minutes in boiled water or steam the vegetables as I did in the video. Or saute vegetables along with onions/scallions.
- Non Veg - Add cooked meats along with scrambled egg for a non veg egg fried rice.
- Veg Fried Rice - For those you do not eat even egg, skip egg and make a veg fried rice.
- Nutrition - Nutritional values are approximate.
Like the recipe? Pin It for later!
Signup to the newsletter to receive latest updates from MySpicyKitchen.
We all love indo Chinese food. Your bowl is so tempting. Beautiful presentation and very colorful with veggies
Very nice video Usha.. fried rice is one of the best ways to use ;leftover rice. adding add is a plus for egg lovers.
Suma Gandlur says
The rice bowl looks very inviting with colorful veggies and the whole setup looks very fantastic.
Gayathri Kumar says
This fried rice looks fantastic Usha. Even I prefer the colorful veggies and white rice than the sauce loaded version. This would be the perfect mains to serve along with manchurian or similar dishes.
Vaishali Sabnani says
Interesting !..I do not eat eggs but will pass the recipe to egg lovers..and that video is really good!a great job with it.
Such nice pictures Usha! The indo Chinese food is something I miss a lot, the flavor here is very different from what we get in India. I wish I had seen your post yesterday, I had some cooked basmati rice to be used up. This would have been perfect.
Yes Rajani, it would been perfect to make this fried rice with leftover rice. Please do try it next time you have leftover rice.
The rice with vegetables and egg looks like one healthy pot meal. I think one can even make this with leftover rice and perfect for lunchboxes.
Yes Renu, it is great for lunch boxes.
Rafeeda - The Big Sweet Tooth says
I wish I could just grab that bowl of tempting looking fried rice... looks just perfect! With the manchurian side, it is just a lovely meal!