Today's recipe is simple gravy prepared with coconut milk and mustard paste. Shrimp is cooked with potatoes, tomatoes and coconut milk with mustard and fenugreek paste. It had a thick rich texture like the french sauces. Kadugu means mustard in Tamil and Yerra is shrimp/prawn.
Source: The Hindu
Total Time: 30 - 35 minutes
Preparation: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 – 25 minutes
Serves: 1 - 2
- ½ lb. peeled Shrimp
- 2-3 tsp. Oil
- 1 small Onion chopped or ½ cup chopped Onion
- 2 - 3 Curry Leaves
- 3 Garlic Cloves
- ¾ tsp. Cumin Seeds
- 1 ½ tsp. Chili Powder (adjust to taste)
- Turmeric (opt. This was not in the recipe but I added for color)
- ½ large Tomato or ⅓ cup chopped Tomato
- ½ small Potato or 50 – 55 grams Potato or ⅓ (approx.) cup diced Potatoes
- ¾ tsp. Salt (adjust to taste)
- ⅓ - ½ cup Coconut Milk (I used canned coconut milk)
- 1 ½ tbsp. Coconut Cream (the top layer of coconut milk. Check notes)
- ⅓ tsp. Mustard seeds, powdered
- ⅓ tsp. Fenugreek Seeds, powdered
- ½ tbsp. Malt Vinegar
- Peel shrimp the shrimp, if it is not already peeled. Remove the tails and wash it. My shrimp was a little smelly, so I washed it with turmeric salt and yogurt. Wash several times and keep it aside.
- Wash and peel the potato. Cut it into 1” cubes. Cut ½ the potato into 12 pieces. Peel and cut the onions. Chop tomatoes and keep aside.
- Grind or crush garlic with cumin.
- Grind together mustard and fenugreek seeds to a powder. Mix the powder with coconut cream and keep it aside.
- Heat oil in a pan and sauté onions until light brown. This will take 2-3 minutes. Be careful not to burn the onions.
- Add curry leaves, garlic cumin paste, chili powder and fry for a minute or two.
- Add tomatoes, mix, and cover and cook until tomatoes are soft. Cook on medium – medium high flame and tomatoes will soften in couple of minutes.
- Add potatoes and cook for another couple of minutes.
- Add shrimp, salt and fry for another couple of minutes.
- Add coconut milk, cover and cook on medium flame until potatoes are cooked. Stir in between and it should take about 5-7 minutes. By now shrimp will curl up and potatoes should be almost cooked.
- Add coconut cream, mustard fenugreek paste and mix well. Add 4 tablespoons (¼ cup) of water and bring it to a boil and boil it for 2-4 minutes.
- Add vinegar; continue to cook for another 4-5 minutes until vinegar smell if gone. Make sure the potatoes are cooked and turn off the heat.
- Serve hot with rice.