Mushrooms are one of my favorite vegetables. Unfortunately, husband (Mr.U) is not as enthusiastic about this vegetable as I am. He would not mind eating it once in a while, once 3-6 months and he prefers dry mushroom curry to gravy mushroom curry. Just like okra, when cooked, mushrooms shrink in size and yield very little curry. Hence, I normally add bell peppers and green peas to it. But this time, I was in mood for only mushrooms and made mushrooms fry without any combination.
Total Time: 30 minutes
Preparation: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
- 1 - 2 tbsp. Oil (I used 2 tbsp. and it was too much. Try using 1 or 1 ½ tbsp.)
- 2 long Red Dry Chillies broken into two
- ½ tsp. Jeera / Cumin Seeds
- 1 tsp. Ginger Garlic paste
- 1 ½ tsp. Chili Powder
- ½ - ¾ tsp. Salt can add a little bit more
- 2 10 oz packet White Mushrooms
- Peel mushrooms, wash and dice them into 4 - 6 pieces, depending on the size of the mushroom. To peel the mushrooms, separate the stack from the cap and peel the cap. If the stalk is not firm, discard it. Peeling the mushrooms is optional. You could buy sliced mushrooms too.
- Heat oil in a pan, add jeera and dry chilies.
- When the seeds pop and the the chilies turn brown, add onions and saute till light brown.
- Add ginger garlic paste and saute for couple of minutes.
- Add chili powder, salt, turmeric and mix well.
- Add mushrooms, give a good stir, cover and cook until mushrooms are tender. Mushrooms release lot of water.
- Remove cover and cook until water evaporates. If required reduce the heat and fry until mushrooms are nicely roasted.
- Garnish wih cilantro and serve with rice.
This day in 2008 - Vegetable Bagara
Curry looks delicious and spicy
South Indian Recipes
nice and simple curry..looks yumm
simple and easy curry! thanks for the recipe
Omg, i want to finish that delicious and yummy fry..even the same story in our house too,my H hates mushrooms but i love it..
Same situation in our home too.. I love mushrooms and my husband can't stand them. So I wait and make them when he's out of town and unfortunately that hasn't been happening that often recently 🙁
Mushroom curry looks delicious.
I never liked mushrooms much. But would like to try this recipe once.
So simple and amazing. I am the one not fond of mushrooms at home. But I do make it for hubby and the kids.
i love mushrooms..thanks for ur recipe