One day, as I was blog hopping, I stumbled on to Dorie’s Savory Corn and Pepper Muffins recipe. The recipe looked interesting and the muffins looked delicious. I bought all the ingredients to bake the muffins and then I saw Suganya’s Spicy Corn Muffins. Her recipe yields 6 muffins, which was perfect and also this recipe calls for only 2 tbsp of oil. So I went ahead baked Suganya’s Muffins yesterday, with a few adjustments. I liked the muffins and Mr.U, being a carnivore in the house, was reluctant to even taste them. So I eat two for brunch, as soon as I baked them. I eat a heavy lunch with left over Biryani and payasam from previous day. I was so stuffed and wanted to skip dinner. Then I again, I knew very well that if skip dinner, I will wake up in the middle of the night and munch on cookies or candy. So I eat two more muffins for dinner. I have the other 2 in the fridge, which I will munch on later in the day.
Here is the link to Suganya’s recipe for spicy corn muffins. I made a few adjustments to the recipe and I will list Suganya’s recipe and will strike out the ingredient that I changed the measures for and italicize the measures that I used. I didn’t use the cheese.
Total Time: 25-30 minutes
Preparation Time: 5-10 minutes
Baking Time: 20 minutes
- 1/3 cup Cornmeal (I used Stone ground)
- 1/3 cup All Purpose Flour
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- Pinch of Salt
- 1 Egg small
- 2 tbsp Vegetable or Canola oil
- 1/3 cup Yogurt
- 1 ½ tbsp Sugar
- ¼ cup frozen or fresh Corn 1/3 – ½ cup frozen Corn
- ¼ cup chopped Scallions or Cilantro 1/3 cup scallions and cilantro chopped (not each but combined 1/3 cup)
- 1 tsp Red Pepper Flakes, more if desired ¾ tsp Red Pepper Flakes (adjust to taste)
- 4 small Green Chilies chopped (adjust to taste)
- ¼ Marinated Feta or Goat Cheese crumbled (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 375F
- Line the muffin pan with paper cups.
- In a bowl mix together cornmeal, all purpose flour, salt and baking powder. These are the first four ingredients.
- In a large bowl mix egg, sugar, oil and yogurt with a whisk until all the ingredients are mixed well.
- Add the dry ingredients to the egg mixture and whisk gently until dry ingredients are well incorporated.
- Add corn, cilantro & scallions, green chilies and red pepper flakes to form a uniform mixture. Do not over mix.
- Pour the mixture in the muffin pan and bake for 18-20 minutes. Insert a tooth pick to check if the muffins are done. A tooth pick inserted should come out clean.
- Serve hot or at room temperature.
I am also sending this to Ashwini’s Monthly Blog Patrol (MBP): Snacks and Savouries event. MBP is an event started by Coffee.