Sorakaya or anyapakaya belongs to squash family and is called bottle gourd in english. In Indian cooking, it is used to make curries, gravies, chutneys or a dessert. Sorayakaya pachadi is one of my favorite pachadis or chutneys. When making chutneys, whole spices are roasted in oil and ground to a fine paste with other ingredients. The blenders in the US are not as powerful as the ones we get in India and I always have a problem grinding the ingredients to fine paste. So, whenever i make chutneys here, I dry roast the whole spices, sesame seeds and groundnuts to fine powder, and add it to my oil roasted mixture. If you are cooking this recipe in India or if you have very good grinder or a blender, you may substitute all the powders in the ingredient list with the whole ingredient and roast it in oil along with the chilies. This chutney is my entry for Vegetable of the Week hosted by Pooja.
Cooking Time: 20 minutes
Serving Size: 4-5
Sorakaya Pachadi ~ Bottle Gourd Chutney
- 1 small Bottle Gourd peeled and diced into 1″ pieces or 3 cups of diced gourd
- 2 tbsp Oil
- 10 Curry Leaves
- 12 – 15 Green Chillies cut into half adjust to your taste
- 3 cloves of Garlic or 1 small pod of Garlic
- ½ tsp Turmeric Powder
- 1 tbsp Cumin Powder
- ½ tsp Methi Powder
- ¼ cup dry roasted Sesame Seeds Powder
- ¼ cup dry roasted Peanuts Powder
- 2 tbsp Tamarind Paste or small lime sized tamarind
- ½ tsp Sugar opt
- Salt to Taste
- Cilantro for garnish
- n a sauce pan cook sorakaya pieces with little salt and water until tender.
- In a pan heat oil, add green chillies, curry leaves and garlic. When chillies change color, add rest of the ingredients and mix well.
- Remove from heat and let cool.
- To this mixture add ½ of the cooked sorakaya pieces and make a fine paste. Add some water if required.
- Transfer to a serving dish, add remaining sorakaya pieces and mix well. Taste the chutney and add more tamarind paste if you want it more tangy. If you used whole tamarind you can add some lime juice.
- Garnish with cilantro and serve with hot rice or idli or dosa.