Soya granules spinach fried rice is a quick meal for weeknight dinners. This is an Indian version of fried rice where, cooked soya granules and spinach are sautéed in Indian spices and then fried along with cooked rice. This soya granules spinach fried is an awesome way to use up leftover rice.
Addition of soya granules and spinach makes it a wholesome meal. The idea of soya granules spinach fried rice came on a Wednesday night when I was looking for an easy way to fix a dinner for myself. Since it is meatless day for me, for protein I debated between lentil and soya granules, and soya it was. I had some beans, carrots and spinach in the refrigerated and the plan was to add all three vegetables. Then I was unsure how carrots and beans would blend in with soya and Indian spices. It was a filling meal with soya and spinach.
I served with some cabbage raitha or coleslaw. Just plain yogurt also goes well with this rice. This is the first recipe for this week’s vegetarian dinner ideas.
Total Time: 45 minutes
Preparation: 30 minutes (time to cook rice)
Cooking Time: 15 minutes
Serves: 1 (if on low carb diet, serves 1 ½ – 2)
Measuring cup used here is the one that comes with the rice cooker
- 1 cup Rice (I used basmati rice)
- ½ cup Soya Granules
- 1 ½ tsp. Chili Powder (adjust to taste)
- 1 tsp. Salt (adjust to taste)
- 1 tsp. Coriander Powder
- 3 tbsp. Oil
- 1 small Onion, sliced (about ½ cup sliced onions)
- 3 small Green Chilies, cut in half
- 1 ½ – 2 tsp. Ginger Garlic Paste
- ⅛ – ¼ tsp. Turmeric Powder
- Handful of Spinach chopped or firmly packed chopped spinach
- Chopped Cilantro for garnish
- Rice – Cook rice in a rice cooker with 1 ¾ cups of water or as you normally cook rice. Once rice is cooked, fluff it and keep aside until ready to prepare fried rice.
- Soya Granules – While rice is cooking, take about 1 ½ – 2 cups of water in a saucepan and bring it to boil. Once water comes to a boil, add soya granules and cook for 1-2 minutes. Turn off the heat and keep the saucepan covered for about 5 minutes. Or follow the instructions on the back of the box to cook soya granules.
- Discard water, wash soya granules several times with fresh water and squeeze water from the granules.
- Marinate cooked soya granules with 1 tsp of chili powder, ½ tsp of salt, ½ tsp of coriander powder and keep aside until rice is cooked, and ready to prepare fried rice.
- Fried Rice – Heat oil in a saute pan. Add onions and saute until soft.
- Add green chilies, ginger and cook until chilies change color.
- Add soya granules and saute for a minute or two until soya is roasted.
- Add remaining coriander powder, chili powder, turmeric powder and give a good stir.
- Add spinach and cook for another 1 – 1 ½ minutes until spinach wilts and is almost cooked.
- Add rice and stir fry for 3-4 minutes until done.
- Taste and adjust seasoning.
- garnish with cilantro.
- Serve hot as is or with some yogurt or raitha. I served it with coleslaw ~ cabbage raitha.
Curry leaves – I did not use as I ran out. Saute 2-4 curry leaves with onions.
Green Onions – Is optional. If using add along with green chilies or along with spice powders.
Garam Masala – a pinch of Garam masala enhances the flavor and lazy me usually avoids it as I am not very fond of store bought garam masala and am too lazy to make it at home.