Sri Lankan eggplant salad is a quick and easy recipe. Deep fried pieces of eggplant are tossed in mustard vinaigrette and is a great side dish.
What is Sri Lankan Eggplant Sambol?
Sri Lankan eggplant salad is a mixture of deep fried eggplant cubes, onion and green chilies dressed with a mustard vinaigrette. A quick Google search this morning enlightened me to the fact that Sri Lankan eggplant salad is a fancy name for eggplant sambol and wambatu is eggplant/brinjal. Someone correct me, if I am wrong.
The reason I chose Sri Lankan cuisine is pork curry, which was on my to try list for a long time. Second, I misread the theme and assumed one has to do same cuisine for all 3 days. So I planned a meal with all Sri Lankan dishes. This was soon after I came back from India and had a big photographer’s block. Photos from that shoot were terrible and only decent picture is this.
Unhappy with the photos, prepared the meal again with a slight change in the menu. This time. time consuming pork curry was out and an easy eggplant salad was in. Though I changed the menu, I am quite happy with today’s dish, except for the photos.
The basic ingredients for the salad are deep fried eggplant pieces, onion, green chilies, vinegar and mustard powder. And of course salt. Cucumber, tomatoes, bell peppers are optional and to be honest, I liked the salad with the basic ingredients and did not care much for the cucumber in this salad.
Theme of the Week – Global Cuisine
Sri Lankan Eggplant Salad ~ Wambatu Sambol Recipe
Sri Lankan Eggplant Salad
To Deep Fry Eggplant
- 250 grams or medium sized Eggplant
- ¼ tsp Salt
- ¼ tsp Turmeric Powder
- ½ tsp Chili Powder
- Oil for deep frying
- ½ tsp Rice Wine Vinegar
- ¼ tsp Salt
- ¼ tsp Mustard Powder
Remaining Salad Ingredients
- 1 small Green Chili seeded and finely chopped
- ¼ cup chopped Red Onions
- 2 tbsp chopped Cucumber
- Wash eggplant and cut into ¾ – 1” cubes.
- Season eggplant with salt, turmeric and chili powder. Keep aside for 10 minutes.
- Heat oil for deep frying.
- Deep fry eggplant cubes until crisp. Drain on paper towels until ready to use.
- Prepare vinaigrette by mixing together, vinegar, salt and mustard powder.
- Just before serving, in a bowl take eggplant cubes, chopped onion, green chilies and optional veggies.
- Pour vinaigrette and toss to mix everything well.
- Serve immediately. Though this is a salad, it is served as a side dish with rice.
- Optional vegetables – Chopped tomatoes, cucumber, bell peppers are optional. I personally didn’t care much for the cucumber in this salad and liked it better without it.
- Variety of eggplants – When using long brinjal, Chinese or Japanese eggplants, either slice into circles or thin strips.