Thecha is a spicy condiment from Maharashtra, India. Thecha is prepared across the state and preparation varies slightly from household to household.
The main ingredient is chilies; red or green chilies, followed by garlic. The other ingredients that can be used are cumin, sesame seeds and coconut. Chilies are toasted in oil and ground to paste using rest of the ingredients. Traditional the condiment is ground to coarse paste using a mortar pestle but in modern kitchens food processors are used. This is a spicy condiment to serve with thalipeeth.
Source: The Pumpkin Farm (Pradnya)
Serves: 2 – 3 (depending on your heat tolerance)
- 5-6 Green Chilies
- 3-4 Garlic Cloves
- 1 tsp Oil
- 2 tbsp chopped Cilantro
- ½ tsp Salt adjust to taste
- 1 tsp Lemon Juice optional)
- Heat oil in a pan and roast the green chilies until blisters form on the skin.
- Cool the chilies and grind the together with cloves, cilantro and salt to a coarse paste. Pounding in a mortar pestle is recommended but I ground in my mini grinder. The chutney should be coarse.
- Add lemon juice if using.
- Serve with thalipeeth.