Sauteed Ground Chicken ~ Chicken Kheema
Sauteed ground chicken aka chicken kheema is a quick and easy side dish for rice, roti (Indian flatbread) and makes a great filling for tacos, quesadillas and puff pastries.
Theme – Protein Rich Ingredient
Welcome back to third week of Cooking Carnival, Cooking with Protein Rich Ingredients. This week’s protein rich ingredient is Chicken. I will post chicken recipes all this week. Of all the protein rich ingredients I am showcasing this month, chicken has the most protein. Today it is chicken kheema.
For the first day of the week, I have a ground chicken saute or chicken kheema. This is a versatile saute which is used in many ways. Serve it with rice or roti, Indian flatbread, use it in wraps and tacos, and as a filling for puff pastries, samosas and quesadillas. Hence this is one recipe that comes very handy.
This is a very quick and easy dry ground chicken curry or saute which is ready in 15 – 20 minutes. Ground chicken is not one of our favorite meat but we have gradually started liking it. Second, I figured out how to cook ground chicken the right way. The key is; not to overcook and not to cover the pan when cooking, as it cooks very fast.
When I made chicken kheema, I had an open pack of baby spinach and used it as well. The day I prepared it, I served it with rice but was not happy with the pictures. Luckily, I had some leftovers and took the pictures the next day and it was my lunch with couple of rotis.
How to make Sauteed Ground Chicken ~ Chicken Kheema
Ground chicken sauteed with Indian spices
- 3 tbsp. Oil
- ⅓ - ½ cup chopped Onion
- 2 Green Chilies chopped
- 1 ½ - 2 tbsp. Ginger Garlic Paste
- 1 tsp. Coriander Powder
- 1 ¼ tsp. Chili Powder adjust to taste
- ¾ -1 tsp Salt adjust to taste
- ¼ tsp. Turmeric Powder
- ½ tsp Garam Masala I used store bought
- 123 grams / 4.3 oz Baby Spinach chopped (opt)
- 1 lb. Ground Chicken
- Cilantro ~ Kothmir for garnish
- Heat oil in a 10” skillet or a frying pan.
- When oil is hot, add onions and saute until soft.
- Add green chilies, ginger garlic paste and saute until ginger is fried.
Throw in coriander powder, chili powder, salt, turmeric powder, garam masala and mix well.
Next goes chopped spinach and mix for few seconds until spinach wilts.
Finally add ground chicken and stir, separating the chicken mince. Stirring ground chicken is very important until it is partly cooked otherwise it will form a one big lump.
- Once the chicken is slightly cooked, reduce the flame to medium – medium high flame, cook until chicken is cooked and all the juices evaporate. Keep stirring in between for even cooking.
- Once the juices evaporate and chicken is cooked, sprinkle cilantro and turn off the heat.
- Serve with rice or roti. This sautéed chicken can be used as a filling for chicken rolls, quesadillas and curry puffs.
Ground chicken cooks very fast. Do not cook for too long and do not cover the pan. It is not necessary. The longer the chicken is cooked, drier it becomes.
This day on 2014: Korean Bibimbap, Spicy Korean Cucumber Salad, Korean Stryle Season Beas Sprouts Salad & Seasoned Korean Spinach Salad
This day in 2015: Simple Telugu Bhojanam, Thali from Telangana, Beerakaya Koora ~ Ridge Gourd Curry, Kobbari (Coconut) Pachadi & Sheera ~ Sooji ka Halwa