Last Updated on
Today is the first day of blogging marathon # 15. For this marathon, I chose cooking by alphabets. We are to pick an alphabet and cook 7 recipes starting with 7 consecutive alphabets. I was going to start with “B” but in the last minute decided to start with “A”. During this marathon, you will see recipes starting with “A” to “G”. Today’s recipe is “A” for Aloo Kheer and tomorrow’s recipe name starts with “B” and will go up to “G” and may be “H” on eight day, although I am doing one week marathon.
Aloo kheer ~ potato pudding or potato sweet as is we use to call it was a very regular in my house when growing up. I made it a few times when I first came here after marriage and have not prepared in a very long time. As I said, I was going to start my marathon with alphabet “B” and in the last minute decide to start with “A”. Why leave out poor “A”. Since it was a last minute change in heart, I was jotting down all the dishes that start with “A”. Then I remember this sweet which I have not prepared in a long time. Grated potato is roasted in ghee (clarified butter) and then simmered in sweetened milk.
Total Time: 30 – 40 minutes
Preparation: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 20-30 minutes
Serves: 2 – 4
- 2 medium size Potatoes grated or 2 (approx…) cups grated Potato
- 2 – 4 tbsp. Butter or Ghee (I used 2 tbsp.)
- 10 Raisins
- 6 – 8 Cashews broken into two pieces or desired size
- 2 cups Milk (I used 1 cup whole milk & 1 cups 2% milk) **
- ½ cup Sugar
- ½ tsp. Cardamom Seeds powdered
** I used milk but once can also use 1 can of evaporated milk & 1 cup of milk OR Little condensed milk & milk. If using condensed milk, adjust sugar accordingly.
- Peel and grate potatoes. Wash grated potato in water a few times to remove the starch. Leave grated potatoes in water until ready to sauté it.
- In a pan take butter and melt it. Add raisins & cashews and roast them until cashews turn golden brown and raisins puff up. Remove the raisins and cashews from butter and keep them aside. Leave the butter in the pan itself.
- Remove grated potato from water, squeeze out all the water and roast it in same pan raisins & cashews were roasted. Roast for 2-3 minutes on high stirring constantly and then reduce the heat to avoid burning of the potatoes. Roast potatoes until light brown stirring constantly. If using more butter, roast it until butter separates form the potatoes. This should take about 8-10 minutes.
- Add milk and bring it to a boil. Then simmer for 5-6 minutes until desired consistency is reached.
- Add sugar, cardamom powder, raisins and nuts. Mix well, taste it and add more sugar if required.
- Simmer it for few more minutes until it is done. Remove from heat and let it cool. Kheer is ready to serve. I like mine chilled.
Recipes I posted this month in 2009, in 2010 and in 2011.
Blogging Marathon: To know more about the various themes and participating bloggers for this marathon, checkout the blogging marathon page on Srivalli’s blog.
Event Entries: Sending this over to Let’s Cook # 14: Chilled Delights