Strawberry pistachio pudding trifle is a no bake, semi homemade, under 15 minutes dessert. With 3-5 ingredients, it is a quick dessert to put together when craving for some dessert or when hosting a party.
It is a non traditional dessert that goes well into to any holiday dessert menu. Green pistachio pudding with red strawberries compliment each other and a delicious dessert for Christmas and St. Patrick's day as well.
Table of contents
No Bake, No Cook Dessert
This is a quick and easy, no cook recipe that even a 10 year old can prepare. With instant pudding mix and Reddi whip or Cool Whip, it is an under 15 minutes dessert. It is a versatile dessert that is customizable to your liking.
Depending on how the dessert is assembled, it is a 3 to 6 ingredients recipe. Milk, instant pistachio pudding and strawberries are the basic 3 ingredients. Basic assembly is layering pistachio pudding and chopped strawberries in layers and garnishing with sliced strawberries and/or chopped pistachios.
For a fancier dessert use crushed graham crackers or biscuits as a base, similar to apple trifle. To make it rich, use whipped cream as one of the layers or as a topping, and garnish with pistachios. Assemble the dessert based on the occasion.
This is a 3 ingredients recipe if you want a simple, not so rich dessert. For parties, special occasions and indulgences, it is a 5 to 6 ingredients recipe. Check the recipe card below for quantities.
- Milk - 2% or whole milk. I use 2% milk.
- Jello Pistachio Pudding Mix - use instant mix as it saves a lot of time and tastes pretty good as well. You can prepare cooked pudding as well, if you wish to. If you cannot source this flavor, use the flavor of your choice.
- Strawberries - keeping aside a few berries for garnish, chop rest of the berries and layer between the pudding.
- Whipped Cream - optional. I use Reddi whip but Cool Whip works just fine in this recipe like it does in Mango Fool recipe. However, you can also whip heavy cream and sugar to avoid pre-whipped creams.
- Gram Crackers or Tea Biscuits - optional. Use crushed crackers or biscuits as a base for pudding trifle.
- Pistachios - optional. Use chopped pistachios for garnish. Both roasted and un-roasted work and sometimes I even use salted ones, though I would not recommend unless you like a touch of salt in your dessert.
Preparation & Assembling
Preparation is very simple. Prepare pudding following the instructions on the back of the packet. Take milk, pudding mix and hand whisk or beat using a handheld mixer until pudding mix blends into milk and is thick. Steps 1-4 in the collage below.
Single serving desserts are great for portion control and also great for parties. Puddings are easy to assemble in single serving containers. Use mason jars, shot glasses or mini tumblers but mason jars are my favorite as these come with lids. Fill the jars, close the lid and refrigerate until ready to serve.
Here I used 4 oz and 8 oz mason jars. Depending on family preferences, I assemble pudding in 3 different ways. If you wish to arrange in a big serving bowl, follow any of the below arrangements or the way your family prefers.
With Berries - Assembly 1
Use a 8 oz mason jars with 3 layers of pudding, 2 layers of strawberries with a strawberry garnish. This is the basic, low calorie version.
- Start with filling a layer of pudding in a mason jar followed by a layer of chopped strawberries and then a layer of pudding. Steps 5-7 in the collage below.
- Repeat steps 6-7, a layer of strawberries followed by a layer of pudding.
- Finally garnish with slices of strawberry and finely chopped pistachios, if using. Step 8.
Biscuit Crust - Assembly 2
Two layers of pudding with a layer of strawberries and whipped cream topping in a 4oz jar.
- For a fancier dessert, start with a layer of crushed or powdered tea biscuit. This is an optional step. Step 9.
- Add a layer of pudding, followed by a layer of chopped strawberry and another layer of pudding. Steps 10-12.
- Finally either garnish with strawberries as in assembly 1 or with a layer of whipped cream garnished with chopped pistachios. Step 13.
No Berries - Assembly 3
This is without strawberries. Since this has no fruit, it has a powdered biscuit base, pudding and a layer of whipped cream topping in a 4 oz jar.
- Fill the jar with a tablespoon of tea biscuit powder, that is one biscuit. Step 14.
- Add a layer of pudding. Step 15.
- Third layer is optional. For a variation add a layer of biscuit powder or a thin layer of whipped cream. In the collage below I added small biscuits bites however, I recommend powdered/crushed biscuit. Step 16.
- Add a layer of pudding followed by whipped creamed. Garnish with chopped pistachios. Step 17-18.
Expert's Tip & Notes
- Jello instant pistachio pudding is sugar free. With sweet strawberries, additional sugar is not required. However, a person with a very sweet tooth can add some sugar to chopped berries. Also, when using whipped cream, the sweet level is perfect.
- Instant mix works well here but you can use a cooked pudding as well.
- If making whipped cream at home, whip it with some sugar.
- Assemble dessert in single serving bowls or one serving dish such as a trifle bowl.
Strawberry Pistachio Pudding
- Mixing Bowl
- Handheld mixer or whisk
- Cutting boar & knife
- 4 (8 oz) mason jars or 6 - 8 (4oz) mason jars
- 1 Packet Instant Pistachio Pudding Mix
- 2 cups 2% Milk
- 8 - 10 medium sized Strawberries chopped and more for garnish
- 8 Tea Biscuits optional
- Reddi Wip whipped cream optional
- 8 Pistachios, chopped optional
- Wash and chop strawberries to small pieces.
- In a bowl take milk, pudding mix and beat with an electric beater for 2 minutes until pudding thickens. Or follow the instructions on the back of the pudding mix. You can use a whisk instead of an electric mixer.
- Assemble dessert in a big serving bowl such a trifle bowl or in single serving glasses/bowls.
Assemble 8 oz mason jars
- Take 4 mason jars, add a layer of pudding, about 1 ½ tablespoons.
- Add a layer of chopped strawberries, 1 chopped strawberry. Repeat another layer of pudding, strawberries and another layer of pudding. There are 3 layers of pudding and 2 layers of strawberries.
- For garnish cut a strawberry into two, slice vertically without cutting it all the way to the tip. Then spread the slices apart, like a fan and place it on top of pudding and sprinkle some chopped pistachios.
- Serve it chilled.
Assemble 4 oz mason jars
- Take 6-8 mason jars. Add a layer of powdered tea biscuits in each jar, 1 biscuit per jar. This is an optional step.
- Add a 1 ½ - 2 tablespoons of pudding.
- This layer is optional. Add chopped strawberries or skip it you have picky eaters at home. Instead add a think layer of biscuit powder or whipped cream. Again, this is optional.
- Add another layer of pudding and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Before serving, pipe a layer of whipped cream and garnish with chopped nuts.
- For more clarity. check step by step pictures above, in the post.
- Sugar - Jello instant pistachio pudding is sugar free. With sweet strawberries, additional sugar is not required. However, a person with a very sweet tooth can add some sugar to chopped berries. Also, when using whipped cream, the sweet level is perfect.
- Instant mix works well here but you can use a cooked pudding as well.
- Whipped Cream - If making whipped cream at home, whip it with some sugar.
- Serving Dish -Arrange dessert in a single serving containers or in a wide serving bowl such as a trifle bowl or any deep dish.
- Nutritional Facts - Calories mentioned are for 8 oz jars which do not have whipping cream and serves 4. Calories for 4 oz jars with cream is also similar. However recipe with cream serves 6. Also, nutritional information is approximate calculation.
Like the recipe? Pin It for later!
Signup to the newsletter to receive latest updates from MySpicyKitchen.
This post was original published in April of 2009. Post is republished with updated content.