No churn ice cream is a 2 ingredient, creamy, homemade ice cream. It is one of the easiest homemade ice cream recipes and all you need is whipping cream, condensed milk and an electric mixer!
This recipe was initially posted as a brownie ice cream combo in Sept 2015.
What is churned ice cream?
Ice cream is usually churned while it is freezing to minimize the ice crystals in it. Churning aerates the mixture, therefore gives a smooth, creamy ice cream. Using an ice cream maker takes care of churning the ice cream while it is freezing.
No Ice cream Maker?
Not a problem! An alternative is a no churn method. Basic no churn vanilla ice cream is very easy to make and a fun activity to get the children involved in the process during their summer break.
2 Ingredient Ice cream
- Heavy whipping cream – Since this is a no churn recipe, to get a smooth, creamy texture, use heavy whipping cream.
- Sweet condensed milk
- Vanilla Extract – this is the 3rd ingredient but since it is used in a very small quantity, it is not counted as a major ingredient though extract determines the flavor of the ice cream.
Whip heavy whipping cream and fold it with condensed milk. Freeze it for 6 hours and that’s it. The only complex prep work is whipping cream until soft peaks are formed and off course, waiting for 6 hours for the ice cream to set.
Can you make other flavors ?
Yes you can. I only tried ice creams with flavored extracts. I tried vanilla and almond flavored ice creams. Oreo cookie ice cream is another one which will yield very good ice cream. Fold in crushed crushed Oreo cookies to ice cream.
Kids Friendly Summer Cooler
Easy homemade ice cream is the best way to consume ice cream at home and also involve children in the preparation process. No churn ice cream is a kids friendly summer cooler that is kids approved. Involve your children in the preparation and it is great DIY ice cream this summer.
How to Serve Homemade Vanilla Ice Cream
Serve ice cream as it is or with you children’s favorite topping. Another alternative is serving it with some brownie. Here is the ultimate brownie recipe you see in the photos. Source of today’s recipe is here.
No Churn Homemade Ice Cream Recipe
No Churn Ice Cream
- Electric Mixer
- 1 can (14 oz / 396 gm) Sweet Condensed Milk
- 1 pint Heavy Whipping Cream or Heavy cream
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- Mix condensed milk and vanilla in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl whip heavy cream until it is stiff, about 3 minutes with an electric hand mixer.
- Mix a scoop or two of whipped cream into the condensed milk. This will lighten the condensed milk and will make it easy to fold in the rest of the cream.
- Transfer remaining whipped cream to condensed milk and gently fold using the low setting on the hand mixer. Do not over fold, which could deflate the cream.
- Transfer condensed milk cream mixture (ice-cream) to a freezer safe container. Smooth the top and place a piece of wax paper on the top of the ice-cream and gently press it onto the ice-cream. This prevents formation of ice crystals on the top.
- Let it freeze for at least 6 hours. For a firmer ice-cream, freeze longer. For the best texture and flavor, eat it within two weeks. I made it 11 days ago and it is still fresh.
- Flavors – Use any flavor you like. I tried almond extract.
- Oreo Cookies – Fold in crushed Oreo cookies for Oreo cookie ice cream. In the above recipe you will need one and half dozen cookies. Adjust the cookies to your liking.
- Nuts – Finely chopped nuts are a nice addition to this ice cream
Check out the Blogging Marathon page to see what other Blogging Marathoners are doing this BM#112. This is also my contribution to Kid’s Delight – Summer Coolers, an event started by Valli and I am hosting it this month.