Many ingredient boxes and bags come with a recipe on the back. Sometimes I cut the boxes or save the ingredient bags for recipes. Today’s recipe is from the back of Hershey’s semi-sweet chocolate chips bag.
I like cookies and whenever I am in a mood to bake, I bake cookies. Husband is not a big fan of cookies and as I was looking for ideas to bake, I found today’s recipes on the back of one of the chocolate bags.
I made half the recipe and it was way too much for just the two of us. As usual, I ended up eating most of the brownies as husband does not have a sweet tooth.
I felt the brownies were bit on the sweeter side and wished I had added some nuts to balance off the sweet. If one likes nuts, I would recommend adding some to the brownies as I was missing them in these brownies.
- ⅜ cup Cocoa
- ¼ tsp. Baking Soda
- ⅓ cup Butter, melted & divided
- ¼ cup Boiling Water
- 1 cup Sugar
- 1 Egg
- ½ + ⅙ cup All Purpose Flour
- ½ tsp. Vanilla Extract
- ⅛ tsp. Salt
- ½ cup Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips
- Pre-heat the oven to 350F.
- Grease a 8” square baking pan.
- Stir together cocoa and baking soda in a medium – large bowl.
- Stir in ½ the melted butter (that is ⅙ cup of melted butter).
- Add boiling water and stir until the mixture thickens.
- Add sugar, remaining butter (remaining ⅙ cup melted butter), egg and stir until the mixture is smooth.
- Add flour, salt, vanilla extract and blend until all the ingredients are blended in.
- Stir in chocolate chips and pour into a prepared baking pan.
- Bake in a pre-heated 350F oven for 30 – 35 minutes or until brownies begins to pull away from the pan.
- Remove from the oven, cool completely in the pan on a wire rack.
- Cut into 16 – 20 pieces or to a desired size.
- Sugar – I left the brownies were bit on the sweeter side. Next time I would add 1 or 2 tbsp. less sugar OR cut back on semi-sweet chocolate chips and add some nuts instead.
- Nuts – While I was eating the brownies wished I added some nuts. If one likes nuts, add few chopped nuts along with chocolate chips.
This day in 2014: Corn, Bell Peppers & Cheese Toasties