Apple trifle is an easy no bake, make ahead single serving dessert.
Apple trifle pudding is a quick and easy layered dessert. Chopped caramelized apples and vanilla custard are arranged in layers and topped with whipped cream. Normally trifle also has a layer of cake but in this easy version cake replaces graham crackers.
What is Trifle Pudding?
Trifle pudding is an English dessert prepared layering sherry or wine soaked sponge cake, egg custard and whipped cream. Later versions include fresh fruit, jelly and/or jam. Over the years the recipe evolved and for ease of convenience, powdered custard and instant pudding (Jello instant pudding) replaced egg custards.
Trifle is easy to prepare and assemble, which makes it a great make ahead party dessert. Assembling in mini individual serving glasses makes it a mess free dessert at parties.
Apple Trifle Recipe
Apple Trifle Recipe
- 2 Red Delicious Apples
- 1 tablespoon Lemon Juice
- ¼ cup Dark brown Sugar
- ½ Cinnamon Powder
- 1 tablespoon Unsalted Butter
Custard (require only ½ – ¾ of this custard)
- 2 cups Milk I used 2% milk, use whole milk for rich custard
- 3 tablespoon Custard Powder I used Bird’s custard powder. It is available in Indian and speciality stores
- 4 tablespoon Granulated Sugar
- ⅛ teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 2 sheets of Graham Crackers powdered
- Whipped Cream I used Reddi Wip
- 6 3 ½ – 3 ¾ oz Glasses
- Wash, peel, core and chop apples into ¾ – 1” pieces.
- Take chopped apples, lemon juice, sugar, cinnamon powder and butter in a small saute pan. Mix together all the ingredients.
- Cook apples for few minutes until sugar melts.
- Reduce the flame to medium and continue cooking until sugar caramelizes and coats apple pieces. Sugar syrup should thicken and almost coat apples. This should take about 7-9 minutes.
- Turn off the flame and let cool.
- Take 1 ¾ cups of milk in a saucepan and bring to boil.
- Meantime, take remaining ¼ cup milk in a small bowl, add custard powder, make a lump free paste and keep the paste aside.
- Once milk comes to a boil, reduce the flame, add custard paste to boiled milk and stir constantly to make a smooth lump free custard.
- Cook for a few more minutes until custard coats the back of the spoon.
- Add vanilla extract and 3 tablespoon of sugar.
- Keep stirring until sugar melts and custard is thick. Keep in mind, custard thickens after cooling.
- Turn of the flame, sprinkle remaining sugar on custard and keep aside to cool. Sugar will melt and prevent the custard from forming a thick layer on the surface.
- Sprinkle about 1 teaspoon of graham cracker powder at the bottom of the glasses.
- Add 1 ½ – 2 teaspoon of caramelized apples followed by 1 ½ – 2 tablespoon of custard.
- Add another layer of graham cracker powder, apples and custard.
- Refrigerate the glasses until ready to serve. There should be some leftover graham cracker powder, keep it aside.
- When ready to serve, top the glasses with some whipped cream and sprinkle some powdered graham crackers on top of whipped cream.
- To make the preparation even easier, use instant vanilla pudding mix however, I like the taste of cooked custard better.
- I like more custard than the fruit in my trifle and arranged the trifle to my liking. There is no hard rule on fruit to custard ratio and assemble trifle to your liking. I used little over 1 cup of custard for assembling apple trifle.
Like the recipe? Pin It!
This day in 2014: Cannellini Beans Curry.
Priya Srinivasan says
such an easy dessert and a great party idea! love caramalized apples, they add such flavor in dishes! making it as individual serving is a great idea for portion controll too!
Ritu Tangri says
I use caramelized apples with vanilla ice cream and that tastes divine. Arranging it in layers with custard is a wonderful idea making it a make ahead dessert
ruchi indu says
Those glasses are ideal for a single serving. Best and easy to make dessert for parties. Loved it
Mayuri Patel says
Another tempting apple dessert. Looks so so delicious. Bookmarking it.
Sandhya Ramakrishnan says
This is such a great dessert for gatherings. love the individual serve portions as it is less messy. This is so perfect for the apple season as well.
Dessert looks amazing and perfect for handy option.. in dessert.
Sharmila - The Happie Friends Potpourri Corner says
Awesome clicks and super tempting dessert.. Please pass me some..
Veena Krishnakumar says
Ah...these shot glass dessert looks fantastic..
Perfect dessert !!! Would love to grab one of those from the screen, really very tempting.
Harini-Jaya R says
Wow ! this is such an easy one to put together and kid friendly too.
Priya Suresh says
This trifle makes an elegant dessert after a heavy meal, fantastic no bake dessert.
I love any dish with custard. This trifle with apples, custard and graham crackers sounds absolutely delicious.
I decided to add grahams layer just before assembling and I am glad I did. It turned out absolutely delicious
Srivalli Jetti says
What a fantastic choice Usha..I love these glass desserts anytime..look so pretty right!
Excellent party dessert ! I am loving those glasses and actually don’t mind finishing one of these !
Those glasses are just perfect for single serving, Vaishali