Apple brown betty is an American variant of apple crisp or crumble. Apple brown betty or apple betty is a baked dessert made with apples, crumbs, sugar and cinnamon. Unlike apple crisp, apple crumble and cobbler, apple betty has layers of bread or cake crumbs and apple slices. Incidentally, October 5th is national apple brown betty day.
Jump to recipe
I start this week’s blogging marathon with the theme apple desserts. One of the recipes I picked is apple brown betty. The reason being, it is easy to make and ingredients are readily available in any kitchen. The only drawback is, it takes 45 minutes to bake!
If you noticed, the first photo and rest of the photos have different setting and lighting because these were taken on two different days. First was on a rainy day and the rest on another day when it wasn't raining. As I mentioned in my last post, I am back to blogging after 6+ months and I was going though a blogger's and a photographer's block. I kept postponing cooking for the blog till the last-minute and if I did cook for the blog, I was not motivated to take any photos. Hence ended up taking pictures on two different days 🙂 .
As with many recipes, there are many variations to apple betty as well. In fact, some say the original betty recipe has flour in it while some say it has cake or bread crumbs. The recipes I came across that called for flour had a single layer of crumb, just like a crisp or a cobbler, hence I went with a recipe that used bread crumbs and, had layers of crumbs and apple slices.
This is one of those desserts where one can arrange the betty in a pie dish, toss it in the oven, set the meal, eat and cleanup, and the betty is baked in the oven just in time for dessert. Serve with whipped cream or ice-cream or eat it as is! It tasted great as is as well.
Apple Brown Betty Recipe
Adapted: Pioneer Woman
Total Time: 1 hour
Preparation: 10 - 15 minutes
Bake Time: 45 - 50 minutes
Serves: 2 - 3
- 1 Granny Smith Apple, peeled, cored and sliced
- 2 - 3 Bread Slices (I used 2 ½ slices white sandwich bread)
- ½ cup Dark Brown Sugar
- ¼ cup Salted Butter (I used unsalted butter and sprinkled ⅛ - ¼ teaspoon salt)
- Cinnamon (I didn’t use)
- 1 tablespoon Water
- Small Pie Dish
- Whipped Cream or Ice-Cream for serving
- Preheat the oven to 375 degree fahrenheit.
- Wash, peel and core the apple. Cut the apple into 8 pieces length wise and slice each piece widthwise. If making twice the recipe in a large pan, cut the apple into 4 and then slice it.
- Chop bread into small pieces or tear into small crumbs or run it in a food processor to make crumbs.
- Grease the pie dish with butter.
- Keep aside a tablespoon of brown sugar. Sprinkle ⅓ of the sugar, followed by ⅓ apple slices and ¼th of the bread crumbs.
- Repeat the step two more times and top the remaining bread crumbs on the top.
- Slice butter and arrange it on top of the crumbs.
- Sprinkle water, remaining sugar, cover the dish with an aluminum foil and bake in a 375 degree preheated oven for 45 - 50 minutes.
- Few minutes before turning off the oven, approximately 5-7 minutes before, remove the foil and let the top brown.
- Remove from oven, let cool slightly and serve with ice-cream or whipped cream. I served it with Reddi Wip.
- I used ¼ cup butter (4 tbsp) and felt it was a bit too much. I would use 3 tablespoon next time I bake apple betty.
- Apple betty is bit on a sweeter side, yet I liked the sweet and slightly tart apple slices in betty. If one prefers less sweet, I would recommend using ⅓ cup dark brown sugar or use unsweetened whipped creaming when serving.
This day in 2014: Chickpeas Crackers
Priya Srinivasan says
i m undergoing the same block now, sometimes felt i should stop blogging!!! but fighting it hard, trying to blog atleast twice a week now. hope i will sail thru this phase!
Apple BB looks scrumptious! love the clicks as usual, the bowl and the reflection of the table cloth on the bowl, creates such a design! awesome usha! hope u blog more in coming months! best wishes!
Ritu Tangri says
I have recently developed my love for baked apple. Apple brown betty is though never heard off, send similar to apple crumbs in taste. I'll surely try it.
Mayuri Patel says
What a tempting dessert. Never heard of Apple Brown Betty, so its good to learn from your blog what its all about.
Ruchi indu says
Great comeback... 6 months you would have missed blogging. Great clicks and a tempting recipe
i didn't miss blogging in the last 6 months Ruchi. I was busy with other stuff. However, I did miss blogging last month during the mega BM seeing all the bm related feeds in social media.
Sharmila - The Happie Friends Potpourri Corner says
Such a great come back. The recipe looks super tempting!!
Harini-Jaya R says
We love anything with apples and I have made apple crisp umpteen number of times. This one is just as easy to bake. On another note, I can totally get the blogger's block thing as I was also just hibernating for a few months now.
Priya Suresh says
Omg, that much long, 6 months seriously??.. glad to see you Usha, brown betty makes me drool, this is definitely an easy dessert to whip up anytime.
Yup, it is see to whip up, Priya
Veena Krishnakumar says
6 months????? Welcome back and lovely clicks as usual!!Lokks yumm
Yeah, it's been 6 months. Thanks Veena.
Sandhya Ramakrishnan says
Welcome back Usha! I love this dessert for 2 reason, one I love the name. Second, it is so easy to whip up and I love anything with apple and crumbs. I am bookmarking this to make for a gathering soon.
The name is quite unique, isn't it. Am sure your guests will like it.
Good to see u back after a long time Usha. Apple dessert looks so delicious.
Welcome back to BM, Usha. This recipe is totally new to me and it looks absolutely delicious,bookmarked to try.
Sandhiya, yes it is delicious. Make it sometime and you too might love it.
That is such a simple and easy to make apple dessert Usha. I would love to try it sometime. Welcome back to BM 🙂
Do try it Pavani. You will love it.
Srivalli Jetti says
Oh the break was six months Usha??..this year surely zipped past us so quickly right..Its good to have you back ok, and this recipe sounds fantastic!..what a delicious bake..
Yes Valli, feels like the year started few weeks ago and we are almost at the end of year.
Six months ! That’s really long ! Good to have you back , with a delicious and interesting dessert . The dessert is tempting and I love tarty green apples in bakes .
I can't believe I was away from blogging for 6 months!