This month Food of the World is halting in Belgium. Belgium cuisine varies from region to region and is also influenced by neighboring countries, Germany, France and the Netherlands. Belgium is known for its chocolates, waffles and bear. Ingredients used in Belgium cuisine are regional and seasonal. Potatoes, leeks, gray shrimp, Belgium endive are common ingredients and ingredients common in European cuisine such as cheese, meats and butter also part of the cuisine. (wiki)
I made stoemp, a typical Belgium dish prepared with mashed potato. Carrots, leafy vegetables can also be added to this mashed potato and it is usually served with sausages, bacon fried eggs or mince. I served my stoemp with fried pork and pickled jalapeno peppers. I did not have any pickled cucumbers so went with jalapenos.
Cooking Time: 20 – 20 minutes
Serves: 2 – 3
- 2 medium sized Potatoes or 240 grams or little over ½ lb. Potatoes
- ½ tbsp. Oil (can also use butter)
- ½ small Onion chopped
- ½ – 1 tbsp. minced Garlic
- 2 long Carrots or 100 grams or ½ cup chopped Carrots
- 1 cup chopped Spinach (about handful of baby spinach)
- ⅓ tsp. Black Pepper Powder (adjust to taste)
- ¼ – ½ tsp. Salt (adjust to taste)
- ½ – 1 tbsp. Butter
- Milk if needed (if hte mash is very thick or dry add some milk. I added about 1 tbsp. of milk next when I took the pictures)
- Wash potatoes and cut into 8 – 12 pieces. Boil the potatoes until soft, about 15 – 20 minutes.
Drain the potatoes, peel and keep aside.
- While the potatoes are boiling, sauté rest of the vegetables. In a pan heat some oil and sauté onion until soft.
- Add garlic and sauté for a minute.
- Add carrots and give it a good stir. Add ¼ cup of water, cover and cook until carrots are semi soft, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add spinach, pepper, salt, stir, cover and cook until both carrots and spinach are soft and cooked.
- Once the potatoes are cooked, peel and mash potatoes. Add sautéed vegetables, butter to the potatoes and mash the vegetables. If required, add some milk.
- Serve with sausages, bacon or fried eggs.
Please add your Belgium recipes to the linky below and visit my co-host to see what they are cooking.
Next month – Nov 11th – we will visit the tiny island of Malta. Start checking out recipes from this country’s cuisine.
Please visit the co-host blogs and follow their sites!