Belgian stoemp is mashed potato with addition of vegetables and seasoned to taste. A simple, yet flavorful side dish.
This month Food of the World is halting in Belgium. Belgian cuisine varies from region to region and is also influenced by neighboring countries, Germany, France and the Netherlands. Belgium is known for its chocolates, waffles and bear.
Ingredients used in Belgian cuisine are regional and seasonal. Potatoes, leeks, gray shrimp, Belgian endive are common ingredients and ingredients common in European cuisine such as cheese, meats and butter also part of the cuisine.
I made stoemp, a typical Belgian dish prepared with mashed potato. You can add carrots, leafy vegetables this mashed potato and it is usually served with sausages, bacon fried eggs or mince.
I served my stoemp with fried pork and pickled jalapeno peppers. I did not have any pickled cucumbers so went with jalapenos.
Signup to the newsletter to receive latest updates from MySpicyKitchen.
- 2 medium Potatoes or 240 grams or little over ½ lb. Potatoes
- ½ tablespoons Oil can also use butter
- ½ small Onion chopped
- ½ - 1 tablespoon minced Garlic
- 2 long Carrots or 100 grams or ½ cup chopped Carrots
- 1 cup chopped Spinach about handful of baby spinach
- ⅓ teaspoon Black Pepper Powder adjust to taste
- ¼ - ½ teaspoon Salt adjust to taste
- ½ - 1 tablespoon Butter
- Milk if needed if the mash is very thick or dry add some milk. I added about 1 tbsp. of milk.
- Wash potatoes and cut into 8 – 12 pieces. Boil the potatoes until soft, about 15 – 20 minutes.
- Drain the potatoes, peel and keep aside.
- While the potatoes are boiling, sauté rest of the vegetables. In a pan heat some oil and sauté onion until soft.
- Add garlic and sauté for a minute.
- Add carrots and give it a good stir. Add ¼ cup of water, cover and cook until carrots are semi soft, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add spinach, pepper, salt, stir, cover and cook until both carrots and spinach are soft and cooked.
- Once the potatoes are cooked, peel and mash potatoes. Add sautéed vegetables, butter to the potatoes and mash the vegetables. If required, add some milk.
- Serve with sausages, bacon or fried eggs.