For the last day of low cab recipes, I have a quick and easy chicken recipe. Chicken is seasoned and marinated with creole seasoning and then sautéed. Since I like to marinate my meats, I marinate it for at least 30 – 60 minutes or overnight in the refrigerator.
I made half the recipe for dinner the day before yesterday and the remaining chicken yesterday afternoon. I served with some salad for lunch. My salad is usually very simple; cucumber, carrots, lettuce and a simple lime juice, chili powder extra virgin olive oil dressing.
I have made this chicken a few times and I once made it with southwestern spice mix and once with chili powder and garam masala. The creole seasoning has an herby flavor and we liked. If one does not prefer that flavor, use less seasoning.
Total Time: 20 minutes (excludes marinating time)
Preparation: 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 10 minutes
Serves: 3 – 4 depending on how it is served
- 1.5 lbs. or 8 Boneless Chicken Thighs cut into small pieces
- 3 – 4 tsp. Creole Seasoning (I followed this recipe and also add 2 tbsp. of chili powder to it.)
- 1 tsp. Chili Powder
- 1 tbsp. Ginger Garlic Paste
- 1 – 1 ½ tsp. Salt (adjust to taste and mind you creole seasoning has salt in it)
- 6 small Green Chilies ground to paste (opt. I had some chili paste and hence used it. If not using it, add more chili powder to suite your palate)
- 1 tsp. Coriander Powder
- 2 tbsp. Oil
- ½ medium sized Red Onion diced (opt.)
- ½ medium sized Green Bell Pepper diced(opt.)
- Cilantro for garnish
- Lime Juice (opt.)
- Trim off the fat from the chicken, wash and cut the chicken into small pieces; about 1 – 1 ½” pieces.
Add creole seasoning, chili powder, ginger garlic paste, chili paste if using, and salt, coriander powder to chicken and rub it into chicken.
- Marinate for at least ½ – 1 hour or overnight in the fridge. If refrigerating the chicken, leave it on the countertop for 30 – 60 minutes on countertop to bring it to room temperature. Mind you, it is recommended not to leave the cooked or uncooked chicken at room temperature for too long.
- Take oil in a pan and sauté chicken on high flame for a minute or two. Then reduce the flame to medium – medium low and sauté until chicken is almost cooked. This would take about 6- 7 minutes. I used a cast iron pan at least 11″ pan is recommended and 12″ would be ideal. I usually make half this recipe in a 10″ pan and would recommended it if making only half the recipe. If using a smaller pan than recommended, and if using a non-stick pan or any pan other than cast iron, cooking time will vary.
- Add onions and green peppers and sauté for another couple of minutes until chicken is well cooked and the vegetables are roasted.
- Remove from the stove, transfer to a serving platter or a dish, garnish with cilantro. If you wish, sprinkle some lime juice. Serve immediately.
- Chili paste is optional and I used this time as I had some handy. If not using chili paste, adjust chili powder accordingly.
- Creole seasoning can be substituted with southwestern spice mix that used for the chicken in southwestern chicken salad recipe.
- Another variation is using only Indian spices; chili powder, coriander powder, garam masala and cumin powder or can just use some tikka masala powder.
This day in 2012: Capsicum & Paneer Rice
Blogging Marathon: Checkout what my fellow bloggers are doing this week on blogging marathon page.